3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Exhaust: New Issues: HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:03 PM
JamesVT
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Exhaust: New Issues: HELP!!

Okay, so a quick intro: I had the flowmaster exhaust system, that dumped out before the passenger side rear wheel (See Sig) I did the body lift, and decided I hated the look of the exhaust hanging below the shackles. I brought it to the local Pipe Bender/ Muffler shop. This guy has done alot of buisness with me before, made me lots of exhausts, and I have never had an issue.

I bring it to him, and explain what I want: I want him to change the exhaust to go out on each side, under the rear bumper. After working on it, complaining about how much of a Pain in the a** it was since I had done the lift, he got it done, I got slapped with a $300 bill. YIKES that was just for PIPE and his bends, I supplied muffler and tips. Anywho. I had to pick it up after hours that evening, and when I did, after about 1 minuite of going down the road, I started to notice an odd "Rattling" noise at 2K, faded out at 2200. You can clearly hear the noise, anyone thats been in it since has. I brought it back to him the next day and complained of the noise, nothing is interfering, all of the bends are clearly seperated from anything that it would be hitting. You cannot Mimick the sound sitting still, It makes the noise consistantly, same spot in the tach, no matter which gear you are in. It is SCARY consistant. He said he could not hear anything "its a truck" was his actaul response.

I am on my own on this one, I have been under the truck, looking at things, trying to figure out what on earth it could be, it sounds like a heat shield, so the first thing I did was inspect the shields that cover the headers, sure as ****, both of them were lose, AH HAH! I thought, no dice, still makes the noise. Nothing obviously lose on any of the other heatshields, So I did not remove. Smacked the exhaust around at the cat, thinking it was a possibility, and got no noise.

Does ANYONE have a clue? Where can I start... its driving me nuts. The noise does not seem to be getting worse, or better, it takes about 1 Minuite of driving for the noise to start, then it does it constantly. I Need Ideas... Im willing to look into anything.

HELLLP!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:38 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

Sounds just like a loose baffle in the one of the flowmasters. I see/hear it all the time and it is aggravating. Does it do it in Neutral? If it does maybe you can get someone to rev it up and then pin point exactly where its at.. $300 dollars is outrageous for that exhaust!! We get 275 for a new muffler and bending the pipe wherever the customer wants. I hope you get it fixed, whatever it may be. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 AM
JamesVT
Rookie

It was changed to a thrush Muffler, 8 months old. and Its not true Dual, I was wondering about the baffle... it wont do it in neutral, only under a load.

Quick Reply: New Exhaust: New Issues: HELP!!