3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ECT & Power Loss Issue with ’04 2500, 5.7 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Series70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECT & Power Loss Issue with ’04 2500, 5.7 Hemi

Hey all… Having an issue with an ’04 2500, 5.7 Hemi: This started last Thursday, and I’ve tried a few things to resolve it but nada has worked so far…
The Electronic Throttle Control idiot light is coming on, blinking, and there is a corresponding loss of power. The engine simply doesn’t respond in anything resembling a peppy fashion. It’ll happily cruise right along at 35 without suffering, and the RPM’s will stay the same, but when accelerating there is just nothing, pedal can be depressed fast to the floor and stay there and it’ll just crawl up to 45mph, and never get above 4000RPM doing it.
Based on my reading here, I took off my throttle body and cleaned it carefully. I also went ahead and pulled my PCV valve and cleaned it (replacement is probably in order but I am 50 miles from a paved road, and 65 from a parts shop) for whatever value that may’ve had. The throttle body was pretty filthy, and cleaning it seems to have made the engine run smoother, quieter and stronger… However, in my road test afterwards, the ECT light and power-loss reoccurred.
The problem goes away when I stop, turn the truck off and restart, and it will run fine for a period, but then it comes back.
So far, this has only happened to me on dirt roads.
This past Thursday I was headed into town to help a friend move when this first occurred. I stopped, shut down, checked things under the hood and found that the air supply line going to the oil was loose, so I stuck it back on, and went on my way. It occurred once more, about fifteen miles later, and I stopped, shut down, restarted and it was fine the rest of the way into town. Did 200+ miles of driving on the interstate and in city traffic, without any issue. It performed as expected, with no issues. Saturday when I was driving home, I’d gone about 20 miles on the dirt and the problem re-occurred. After I got home, and did my reading, I took took off the throttle body and cleaned it etc. but the problem continues.

I cannot get the truck to throw any codes with the “key trick” – My reading seems to suggest that ‘04s are problematic about that – and don’t have a code reader available to me.

So… Anyone out there in Dodge Forum land got any ideas?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:56 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If I were to guess, I would say to check the throttle body harness. If that is secure then take it off and clean the back side of it. Also reset the PCM. If that doesnt work then I would look at replacing the TB.

You are right about the 04's and the key trick not working. But unless you are in CA, you can go to any auto parts store and let them scan your trucks PCM for codes.

Quick Reply: ECT & Power Loss Issue with ’04 2500, 5.7 Hemi