3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A Windshield WTF Story

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:40 PM
velocity37
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Windshield WTF Story

I bought my 06 ram about a month ago. Today is the first day it has rained since I purchased the truck. I noticed a water leak coming from the top hole on the drivers A-pilar as I was driving. I had this same leak with my 04 ram. When I got home I decided to fix it as I did my 04. As I was removing the weather stripping I noticed something weird about the windshield. IT WAS NOT GLUED DOWN. It was just laying on top no glue or adhesive whatsoever. There was not even a trace of old adhesive on the track where the windshield sits. I lifted the windshield out and removed it with no hassle. All i gotta say is WTF!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Obviously you need to bring the truck back to where it was purchased and have them fix it with a seal. Generally the seal is just a Windshield non-hardening sealant similar to RTV, but it's not RTV. OR go down to your local parts store and do it yourself. You need to move te winshield back-forth and up-down about 1/2" or so. This spreads the sealant out for a complete seal

Old 08-31-2010, 09:55 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

Go down to your local glass place and see what they would charge to seal it. I honestly wouldn't trust anyone else to do it, and I can't imagine they would want much for the 10 minutes it would take.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW its like shops don't even care, i want to know how it passed a safety before go got it?
i'd go back to where you got the truck, if its a dealer you might be able to get some free stuff

Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

mechanics dont check the seal during an inspection- unless its obviously cracked or broken - they check for cracks and chips and imperfections in the glass.... It could of been done before it was traded in- im sure the place you bought it will replace it- they wouldnt know unless they were driving it in the rain. unless it was a private sale then im guessing you'll have to pay for it yourself..

Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 AM
nx75080
Amateur

The stuff youll need is 3m windshield urathane.Comes in a caulk tube and is real thick.Dries to a hard rubber.Heat tube with small torch to make it come out nice and easy without cramping your hand.If you do it yourself,dont be chaep with the stuff,lay a nice even 1\2" bead all the way around and press windshield in.If you can let it sit for 24 hrs would be the best choice,but of u cant, DO NOT slam doors shut.If you do,the compresssion of air inside will actually push the windshield out a bit.Crack all your windows about an inch.It will give the air another place to escape.
I use that stuff for everything, Moldings,trim pieces, carpets,anything interior or exterior you want to adhere,it will stick. Stuff is a PITA to get off once dried though.Use 3m prepsol to get it off while its still wet.

Quick Reply: A Windshield WTF Story