3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Goofy Trans Issue....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Coosawjack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goofy Trans Issue....

Hi folks.....

I have an '04 with a 5-45RFE transmission that works perfectly fine cold and most of the time hot......91K miles and about 30K miles on the last pan drop and filter(s) change!!

Every now and then when I start it hot and put it immediately in Drive or Reverse it takes a few seconds to engage...as if in Neutral?? When it finally engages it is fine until possibly the next hot start though I've never had it do it twice in a row!!??

I plan to drop the pan and replace both filters again tomorrow or Friday thinking the spin on may not be flowing well......could be but it should flow better hot shouldn't it??

Ideas??

Thanks in advance!!

Coosawjack

Old 09-01-2010, 05:27 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a TSB on this problem, it is most likely due to your spin on filter letting your torque converter to drain its fluid. simple fix, next time you drop the pan, use genuine mopar filters. its not a serious issue, just takes a few seconds for the fluid to start flowing, so you can start moving.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Coosawjack

Thanks John!!

I think I used a Mopar filter last time but I'll check when I drop the pan.....good to know it's nothing serious!!

Old 09-02-2010, 06:23 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When you have the pan dropped you might wanna also add a drain valve in it to make future oil changes easier......

just a progressive thought.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Coosawjack

I have a vacuum can I use to change oil in boats.....works great pulling the fluid out through the dipstick tube!!

http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Tool-.../dp/B0000AXBO5

Quick Reply: Goofy Trans Issue....