3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

overhead console power source

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:49 PM
sleddicted
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overhead console power source

hey there... i mounted my sirius readio above rearview mirror.. ran all wires in headliner...

for my power however i was thinking of tapping into a powersource in my overhead console.. maybe even to the map lights....

My other option is to lengthen the powercord for the sirius and just run it to my cig lighter

is it safe to tap into the console? anyone know what the best wire to tap into is?

I have a 07 3500 mega cab cummins

thanks

Old 09-02-2010, 04:38 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I would extend the wire and run it to your left side cig lighter. There should be a pink wire with a yellow stripe. it's a 12guage wire and is plenty good enough to run your sirius radio. I'm not too sure on the overhead power wire if it's enough to handle the load???
If you don't want to pull off your radio bezel, you can pull off your lower steering column bezel (4 small torx screws) and tap into one of the 3 ignition wires. Those are 10ga wires and should be purple, green and I foget the other color??? That may be easier than pulling off your radio bezel. You'll need a t-tap for a 10ga wire though. Radio shack sells them.

Quick Reply: overhead console power source