3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Water pump change - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:59 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes the fan nut goes CCW and as the the new tensioner being stiff to turn, could be just because it is new still and not worn out....

I put a big wrench on my fan nut, wedge the pulley and hit the wrench with a rubber mallet. It broke loose after a few hits.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 AM
bigbran
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weedahoe
Yes the fan nut goes CCW and as the the new tensioner being stiff to turn, could be just because it is new still and not worn out....

I put a big wrench on my fan nut, wedge the pulley and hit the wrench with a rubber mallet. It broke loose after a few hits.
Man....I tried that. Like I said, wedged the pulley with a screwdriver and allen key and I actually bent the holes out on the pulley. Now as I drive I can hear a different noise from the engine compartment which I am attributing to the holes being bent out and probably catching some extra air. I even put a break bar on the end of the wrench (after trying with a hammer first) and still couldnt crack it. I have made an appt at the garage for tomorrow since I cant seem to crack the bugger.

Thanks again for all the help. I guess I will have to wait for the next one to tackle!

Old 09-09-2010, 02:10 PM
bigbran
Rookie

Well ended up getting the shop to do it for me.....as i took another try at it without any success.

Picked up an idler pulley today though and went to install. Noticed it is a bit biggger compared to the original. Maybe an 1/8" bigger. The parts store I picked it up at says that its the one recommended. Would it make a difference?

Old 09-09-2010, 03:38 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I dont see how that little difference would hurt anything. Bigger pulleys just turn slower is all.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:49 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good and yes those two smaller hoses are heater hoses. Some guys also use an aspirin to wedge and hold open the stat so any air can pass through. Eventually the aspirin will dissolve and close the stat.
Will that keep the engine from having a "head" ache?

Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 PM
bigbran
Rookie

I dont see how that little difference would hurt anything. Bigger pulleys just turn slower is all.
Guess I wondered about tension on the belt....but since the tensioner is spring loaded I suppose it would make up for it. Guess all I can do is try it out?

Thanks to all that replied! Love this forum

Quick Reply: Water pump change - any advice?