3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hi. New to the forums. Have a couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 PM
DaronCraig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi. New to the forums. Have a couple of questions.

First off. Thanks ahead of time for any input given to my questions. I just bought a 2006 Mega Cab 4x4 1500 with the Hemi. I have a list of mods that I am thinking of doing. I would like to get some input on the mods and maybe some suggestions of better ones. So, here is the list. Thanks

1. E-Fan (if you could tell me a good one to get thats not too $$$)
2. Vararam Intake ($358 is the best deal I've seen so far)
3. Doug Thorley Headers ($245 on ebay)
4. X pipe or H pipe (here is where opinions are welcomed)
5. Hi-Flow Cats (worth it ?)
6. Flowmaster 50 series (don't want it to be loud just low and mean sounding. Suggestions on another brand or series ?)
7. 4.10 gears (I thought about doing this strictly for MPG improvement over the stock 3.73's. Good idea ?)
8. Programmer (I know everyone is going to say Diablo Trinity but $600 is a little pricey. I saw an Edge Evolution that says in extreme mode it gives 35hp and 71ftlbs for $250 on craigslist. Any good or give me some other suggestions.)

Thats it for now. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Old 09-02-2010, 04:51 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaronCraig
First off. Thanks ahead of time for any input given to my questions. I just bought a 2006 Mega Cab 4x4 1500 with the Hemi. I have a list of mods that I am thinking of doing. I would like to get some input on the mods and maybe some suggestions of better ones. So, here is the list. Thanks

1. E-Fan (if you could tell me a good one to get thats not too $$$)
2. Vararam Intake ($358 is the best deal I've seen so far)
3. Doug Thorley Headers ($245 on ebay)
4. X pipe or H pipe (here is where opinions are welcomed)
5. Hi-Flow Cats (worth it ?)
6. Flowmaster 50 series (don't want it to be loud just low and mean sounding. Suggestions on another brand or series ?)
7. 4.10 gears (I thought about doing this strictly for MPG improvement over the stock 3.73's. Good idea ?)
8. Programmer (I know everyone is going to say Diablo Trinity but $600 is a little pricey. I saw an Edge Evolution that says in extreme mode it gives 35hp and 71ftlbs for $250 on craigslist. Any good or give me some other suggestions.)

Thats it for now. Let me know what you think. Thanks
You prob won;t get many replies mainly because there are lots of info regarding everything you are asking. I would reccomend spending some time searching the forums regarding your prospective modifications and see what has already been reccomended. Also, there is a FAQ section that has lots of polls regarding who has what and who likes what better.
To be very brief...
1)90-95 3.8L Taurus 2speed fan from a junkyard or a Mark VII fan 93-98?
2)Make your own
3)Tri-Y's? if so then get them, otherwise shorties aren't as good as LT's no matter what. They are easier to install and do provide small gains
4)only if you get LT headers then should you go with one of them. i prefer X if that's the case. No sense of having shorties dumping into a Y then branching back out into an x or h-pipe. Silly, just silly.
5)stock cats are already high flow
6)you'll get drone with Dronemasters. I LOVE my Magnaflow. haven't heard one bad thing said yet even from 80yr olds including my grandmother.
7)4:56's or don't bother. Yers you'll get better mpg's over your 3:73's unless you only drive interstate at 80mph then leave your 3:73's in and foget about 4:10's. Not much gain there. 4wd needs front done as well.. $$$$
8)Superchips 3865 flashpaq or their Cortex 3950 and purchase the trans tuning. Best tuner for your truck hands down and the cheapest too.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:11 PM
ram_bo06
Captain

new truck lets see it......welcome to the forum! & as dog said use the search function. You will find it very useful here in deciding on which mod first, which mod best, so on and so forth...

Old 09-03-2010, 11:27 AM
DaronCraig

So, 4.56 is the best option on gears. I'm about 50/50 highway/city driving. I am almost certain that the gears are 3.73 in the truck now. Is there a way i can verify that before I spend the money. 4.10s are a waste? Oh, and I attached a picture of the truck the night I bought it. I will be adding more to my album soon. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Hi. New to the forums. Have a couple of questions.