3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need some input

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010 | 12:42 AM
jonbev2
|
Default need some input

Itook my sons truck(05 dodge ram 3.7 75,000 miles) to my mech. to check everything out before he left for college. He said ther was water leaking around water pump so I told him to replace it. He calls me back a while later and tells me that when he started it back up after replacing waterpump,the truck starts running really hot so he replaces the t-stat and then he hears a loud noise and oil starts blowing everywhere. He says valve cover is cracked. He says he will have to replace a cylinder head. Since i am mechanically challenged, does anyone know if he could have done something wrong changing out the waterpump? He says these engines do this alot, but weve never had a problem before. please give me some feedback. thanks

Old 09-04-2010 | 09:35 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo

Welcome ot the site. I will move this thread to the third generation Ram section,
FF

Old 09-05-2010 | 09:43 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Really not much to it or anything you can do wrong to change the water pump. I think the worse thing would be not torquing it down right and leaking water.

As for the cracked valve cover, I have NEVER heard of anyone breaking one. Are you sure you didnt throw a rocker or loose a valve?

Quick Reply: need some input