3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010 | 10:01 AM
Tkczecheredflag
|
Default Power Steering Pump Replacement

I blew out the in-line pressure sensor of my pressure hose on the power steering pump unit. Replaced the sensor and pressure hose - refilled reservoir, started her up - got a whinning sound - so I replaced the pump too (figured I burned the bearing getting the truck home). Installed new pump and replaced the serpentine belt. I still have whining sound that you can only hear inside the cab - and not outside the truck. I am assuming I got a bad pump.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE A THOUGHT OT SUGGESTION??

THANKS - TIM K

Old 09-05-2010 | 10:31 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

The rack & pinion on these trucks aren't that great and many have issue's. A bad r&P can cause the pump to go bad if it's circulating metal throughout the system or if there is a clog inside the r&P itself, so no matter how many times you change the pump, you'll still be putting metal through them and ruining them.
I would have your r&p checked out because it could be causing your pump to work extra hard if there is a clog going on which might be why you blew out a hose.

Old 09-05-2010 | 07:19 PM
Tkczecheredflag
|

thaks for the heads up - tim k

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Replacement