3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

%$% tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 12:25 AM
guido7
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default %$% tranny question

if this has been answered before, sorry, but I missed it....How strong is the 545 auto in the hemi.... is it the same as in the Cummins and can it take drag racing with no probs..?????????I cant seem to find the info regarding this tranny anywhere.... any help is appreciated.............................GUIDO

Old 05-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: %$% tranny question

Hey Guido,
You may want to fire off the same question to some of the tranny racing trans companies like B&M and quite a few others out there. Generally, these days, they're built for the average daily commuter, with a little off road work type stuff. You may want to find a second one, send it in for a racing rebuild, valve body, HIGHER STRESS TORQUE CONVERTER, clutches, etc. etc.-then if you do fry it, you still have the original to stuff back in, while you get the racing unit rebuilt.
It really sucks when your ride is dead, your an unexpected grand or more in the hole and your wife (if you're married) is saying " I told you not to go racing ". I personally haven't been there, but I grew up in a speed shop in Phoenix and saw many who have.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:55 AM
moparturd
Banned

Supposedly the TMR is supposed to help save the tranny. I've heard some of the techs say the tranny is strong, others have said it isn't.[&:]

Old 05-31-2005, 01:02 PM
Drew
Professional

the tranny behind the hemi is not the one that goes behind the Cummins.

the hemi does have the 545RFE, but the cummins has the 48RE. the main difference is the increased line pressures, clutch packs, and stiffer materials to handle the torque. however it is only able to handle about 700lb-ft stock. the stock converter is good for stock, but quickly swells once engine mods go on.

shoot a PM to hemi777 (I think) he's running some insane power out of his hemi and has some VERY impressive 1/4 mile numbers with the stock tranny. he could lead you to some things to consider

Old 06-01-2005, 02:48 AM
guido7
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Drew, it helps a lot...will do just that... I remember the old torqueflight tranny and it was awsome... had a few of those, seemed indestructable..... Later dude....GUIDO

Quick Reply: %$% tranny question