3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wheel lock tool question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:54 PM
badnews
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel lock tool question

today i went to a tire shop to see if they could fix my front left tire. they said ok, so as i walk away they ask if i have a wheel lock key/tool so they can get the wheel off. i said i have no idea where it would be. so to get to the point. What is a wheel lock tool/key? what does it look like, and where can i get one?

thanks

Old 09-15-2010, 10:14 PM
JAWalker21
Professional

I had this issue one time myself. When I bought my truck they had the wheel locks on them, and the dealer sold me the truck without the key. Its simply an adapter that looks similiar to a socket but it only fits the pattern of the locking lug. I couldn't find any information on mine to get a replacement. I ended up just taking an impact socket that was just barely large enough to fit over the end of the locking lug. I took a hammer and hammered the socket on the rest of the way so that it fit snug. The metal the lug is made out of is soft enough that the socket kind of cuts it to size. After that I just took a breaker-bar inserted it into the end of the socket and they turned right off. Not sure if this is the route you want to go, but I hope it helps.

Here's what a key looks like.

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog...cfm?focus=2290

Last edited by JAWalker21; 09-15-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 PM
That1guy
Veteran

If you cant get them off find someone to weld a nut on the end and just take them off that way. It would take 5 seconds to put a couple tacks on.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:29 AM
traker1001
Captain

Originally Posted by That1guy
If you cant get them off find someone to weld a nut on the end and just take them off that way. It would take 5 seconds to put a couple tacks on.
Yup had to do this while back with a old pontiac that we bought.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:12 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Or you could gently tap a socket over the lock and use a wrench to get them off. Thats how most tire/rim repo shops, tire shops and thieves do it anyway.

Quick Reply: wheel lock tool question