3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck won't start, shift indicator won't go in park

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:15 PM
jrc0210
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start, shift indicator won't go in park

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT and it won't start. I came out and tried to start it but no joy. I looked at the transmission indicator and it is in reverse, I counted all the clicks and it is for sure in park. I tried to put it into neutral but it won't go there either, the indicator just skips right over it.

I have narrowed it down to the electrical indication portion of the problem. I read that these trucks have a trans range selector which tells the dash which gear it is in, I also read that the park neutral switch is built into this component. I tried to find this sensor but it is not on the steering column and it is not on the side of the trans case.

Can someone confirm where this sensor is located and if all my info is right? How hard is it to change this part? I heard you need to drop the trans pan and valve body, is this true?

Thanks

John

Old 09-19-2010, 09:23 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have read it is located in the steering column with a cable going to the brake pedal. There is an adjustment procedure in the manual.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start, shift indicator won't go in park