3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacement key without dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

yes, both my Grand Cherokee and my '04 Ram have a chipped key and a separate FOB. I don't believe you have any alternative but to go to the dealer if you have the ones with the FOB and key in one if you only have a single key...

Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Wanderer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local Home Depot has a locksmith that comes in a few day a week. Had a key made for $85.00 plus tax. This included the required programing. The only diference to the OEM key is theres no ram head.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
... As far as the fobb losing it's interaction with the truck ecu is not true. Fobbs are built using micro chips that store the frequency indefinately or until written over. They need no battery to keep their info. Same deal with the truck losing it's power and removing the battery. Everything is retained. There are no programming issue's to worry about. clock and radio are part of volitile memory(RAM) and not flash memory.
I unplugged my battery like 15 times and completely drained the system and never had any issue's.
True enough. It's the truck learning the fob, not the fob learning the truck.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:56 AM
sunnybeach

I don't have an answer but I have an idea. If one placed the programmed key within 4 inches of the ignition switch, Couldn't one slip a regular key, cut correctly, into the ignition and start the car?
I believe the keyfob micro chip needs only to be placed near the ignition to turn the switch on. I would glue the wireless key to the steering column. If so, the regular key might be able to start the car.
I can't find an expert who will confirm my suspicion and if it doesn't work I'd need to tow my car to the dealership 60 miles from here.
just an idea, but it may help. Sorry for all the words.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:06 PM
catfish621
Amateur

Yes sunnybeach, that will work. I started my truck with a non chipped key by holding the chipped key near the ignition switch..

Old 10-10-2015, 03:56 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnybeach
I don't have an answer but I have an idea. If one placed the programmed key within 4 inches of the ignition switch, Couldn't one slip a regular key, cut correctly, into the ignition and start the car?
I believe the keyfob micro chip needs only to be placed near the ignition to turn the switch on. I would glue the wireless key to the steering column. If so, the regular key might be able to start the car.
I can't find an expert who will confirm my suspicion and if it doesn't work I'd need to tow my car to the dealership 60 miles from here.
just an idea, but it may help. Sorry for all the words.
4 inches may or may not work. There are ways though...

Old 10-12-2015, 03:28 PM
sunnybeach

Thanks alot. This validates what I suspected. I will need to play with the distances between transponder and keyway. I don't have but one key (the dealership didn't have two and did not tell me I would need about $350 to make a second key). I'm also disturbed that we went from a $5.00 cut key to a $350 electronic key. Wish I had been smarter. Appreciate the help.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:51 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't feel too bad. Try ordering a key for Mercedes or BMW. $350 will sound cheap.

Quick Reply: Replacement key without dealership?