3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is difference in muffler offsets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 02:04 AM
RAMington Steele
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is difference in muffler offsets?

Does the offsetting make a difference for performance and/or noise? What is preferred for a "not-too-loud" 4.7L ram to get a descent bootst in efficiency?

Old 06-01-2005, 02:10 AM
Avanti
Captain
Default RE: What is difference in muffler offsets?

RAMington:

I've been involved with cars and mostly high performance ones most of my nearly 6 decades and I seldom get hit with something I've never heard nor seen, but "muffler offset" is a new one.

Where did you see/hear this term? What in the world does it mean?

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:19 AM
RAMington Steele

I just mean to ask if there are performance differences with Offset In, Offset Out.......Offset In, Center Out......Center In, Center Out.....Center In, Offset Out.

Old 06-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Avanti
Captain

Oops, sorry I was so dense. Now, I think I understand, i.e. where the inlet and outlet are placed. Right?

Okay, there are mufflers in all configurations that make good power (or more accurately, don't interfere with making power). Consider the generic oval "turbo" style muffler or typical Flow Master. Also, the C-5 and C-6 Corvette mufflers are examples of effective oval design. Inlet and outlet placement can very on the same muffler, usually due to placement constraints more so than effective design.

There are those with straight through designs that make similar claims. Without independent dyno testing, of course, it's all marketing hype, but I doubt any modern muffler is going to be too bad. I've looked at LOTS of wheel dyno sheets with a variety of mufflers on one specific auto and the performance of all the performance systems are pretty close, making issues ones of personal sound preference, cost, and to a degree materials (mild steel, stainless, or titanium--I've the latter on my daily driver).

One point you might consider is using Random Technology high flow cats. These have consistently been shown in independent tests to "cost" only 2-4 hp on a 400 hp system, significantly less than most any stock cat I've seen.

As for power improvements from any cat-back system. Probably about half (at most) of what the ads say. At the least, one needs better flowing cats and a better flowing intake system (air cleaner, etc.) to get noticeable (seat-of-the-pants) results. Others may argue otherwise, but there is a well documented phenomenon called "buyer dissonance" where one tends to over-rate purchases to help justify the expense--especially when the purchase is not a necessity.

All the best.

Quick Reply: What is difference in muffler offsets?