3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard starting, then blue smoke????

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:14 AM
theuscfan04
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hard starting, then blue smoke????

So I had the truck backed up on ramps this weekend tightening up my exhaust hangers and left it on the ramps for probably around 5 hours. I went to start it and it sputtered but I drove it off the ramps and reved it a few times and I thought all was well. Then the next day (Sunday) I went to start it up and all it did was spin, and spin and then after a couple minutes I finally got it to catch on and start and I had blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. This is not the 1st time this has happened and it seems to do this only after Ive had the truck backed onto the ramps with the front of the truck tilted downward a little, so what could cause this? Is it oil mixing with the fuel?

Old 10-05-2010, 12:44 PM
traker1001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably had some oil leaking in thru the Valve stem seals. After the truck runs for a while are you still having the issue? Mostly I wouldn't worry about it to much unless you get a constant bluish smoke.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM
theuscfan04
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, after I got it to start on Sunday the smoke lasted for only about 20 seconds so I let it run a few minutes and it ran like a champ and no codes at all.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:12 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

My guess is that you have excess oil pooled up at the bottom of your lower intake and being at an angle cause the oil to leak into the front cylinders where as it would normally just be left alone and burned off litle by little. I pulled my T/B off at 8kmi and OMG was there loads of residue behind it. It's a common issue with these trucks.

I would do the seafoam cleanse and call it a day. use the booster hose to suck in the seafoam.

Quick Reply: Hard starting, then blue smoke????