3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CD changer died

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005 | 04:56 PM
cntryboy88
Default CD changer died

The 3 disc changer in my 02 QC died yesterday. It first would not eject the cartridge but it finally did, now when I put the cartridge in loaded with 1-3 cd's it says "no disk". I have been watching this thing since I bought the truck, and I had a feeling it would go out due to the complexity of how it works. The tuner still works though. The manual is very helpful, it advises to see my local dealer (where I will immediately have my wallet cleaned out). What would you guys do? Go to Wal-mart and buy a new CD player, check the junkyards? I have a feeling getting a new unit from Dodge will be expensive and I doubt they will do anything other than suggest a replacement. My truck is also out of warranty Do I have to stick with an 02 model radio?

Old 06-02-2005 | 06:21 PM
FatherKind
Rookie
Default RE: CD changer died

Go to a qualified aftermarket radio dealer/installer. In my experience it is always cheaper to replace it w/ an aftermarket unit. Most places will be able to hook up the aftermarket changer with the stock head unit.

Try a smaller shop before going to the big guys (Circuit City, Best Buy, Tweeter). The smaller shops will generally have more experienced people who have done something like this before.

If you are anywhere near Jersey i can recommend someone.

Old 06-02-2005 | 06:48 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: CD changer died

Definitely visit a true audio store as Fatherkind mentioned. They are more knowledgable, with a few exceptions, and that means you won't be bringing it back to fix what some freelance weekender messed up on a Sat morning at one of the Big stores. The smaller audio stores tend to carry better stuff and at a fair price. If anything, it is a good excuse to upgrade.

Quick Reply: CD changer died