3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wiring driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 11:28 PM
joeylead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring driving lights

I am installing lights on my recently added bullbar. I have installed many lights in the past using a separate switch but I want to do it a little different now, I want to wire the lights so that they go on and off with the factory fog lights. Part of it is that I do not want to add a switch that looks bad on my dash. Some light kits come with just some wires and a switch, while others come with an actualy relay. To do this I would need a relay setup and the hot wire from the original fogs would act as a switch. Does this sound like it makes sense? Or is there a way to wire the lights so that they only work if the fogs are on and turning them off would turn the aux lights off as well? I am going for a somewhat factory user setup. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I havent bought lights yet as I want to get a kit that comes with what i need. If I cant find it, then its cheaper to just buy 2 lights and a witing harness separatley.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:16 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Use a relay, and just simply use a small (about 18 or 20 gauge) wire jumped from the switch post on the relay (pin 85) to the switch post on the fog lamp relay...

Old 10-15-2010, 01:29 PM
joeylead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I run a wire from the 85 post on the light relay to the 85 post on the fog lamp relay in the fuse box, this will have the lights go on and off with the fol lamps, right? Now if I run a wire from the 85 post on the driving lights to a switch then to the 85 post on the fog light switch (or even a hot lead to the headlights?) the lights will only go on with those lights on, will they also sut off when those lights are turned off?

Quick Reply: Wiring driving lights