3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help diagnosing something

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 AM
theHemiBeast
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help diagnosing something

Was driving home doing about 70 - 75 on the interstate and my truck chimed on me, similar sound as the one you get when you are low on gas. Then I hear it again, and again. I see nothing on the dash lighting up, and have no clue why I am getting the chime. So I start paying attention when I hear it, and it seemed that it only chimed after braking and subsequently putting my foot on the accelerator. I heard the sound probabaly 10 times on the way home. Strangely enough, I haven't heard it since. I am a little freaked that something is wrong that I should know about.

Anyone have any ideas what could've cause my truck to chime on me? Could it have been the E-brake? I was thinking maybe, just maybe I didn't fully release the e-brake when I left work, but my e-brake light was not on, I checked while I was hearing the sound.

Any ideas?

Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 AM
korby05
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could also be that you have a bulb burnt out and it only chimes when you hit the brakes.. What it is is that the filament in the bulb for the brake light has burned out and only chimes when you hit the brakes but as soon as you let off it stops. But it's not enough to turn on the light out

Old 10-14-2010, 12:35 PM
theHemiBeast
Professional

Originally Posted by korby05
it could also be that you have a bulb burnt out and it only chimes when you hit the brakes.. What it is is that the filament in the bulb for the brake light has burned out and only chimes when you hit the brakes but as soon as you let off it stops. But it's not enough to turn on the light out
hmm, I didn't think of that. I'll check my lights later today. Thanks for the suggestion

Old 10-14-2010, 03:29 PM
korby05
Professional

yep..Not a problem

Old 10-14-2010, 10:44 PM
brettj2408
Captain

seat belt, bulb out, e brake not fully released, etc.
wierd that no light came on though

Old 10-14-2010, 11:16 PM
JAWalker21
Professional

Mine does this sometimes. I have the tire pressure monitoring system and I think that might be my problem. It goes off under hard acceleration or when you hit a bump. I've checked my tires and they are fine, but the light will come on sometimes when it chimes and sometimes in just chimes. I've taken to just ignoring it.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Matt99
Champion

my old work truck didnt have brake lights and it would chime every time I hit the brake

Old 10-15-2010, 02:02 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Mine gave me a fit. I checked the lights a half dozen times couldn't find anything wrong. Finally the wife started to drive off and she touched the brakes and the left rear brake light was out then came back on. Turned out it the bulb was burnt were it plugged into the socket and everytime it lost connection it would chime.

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing something