3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radio making noise when truck is off

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:33 PM
mexico
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio making noise when truck is off

Not sure whats going on but i was sitting in the truck with it off a little while and noticed it was constantly making noise like it was trying to grab a cd. there was no cd in it but it still made noise like it was having one being inserted. When i put one in it stopped making the noise but it clicks constantly, sounds like a clock! is this whats draining my battery? just replaced the alternator and battery cuz they went bad but im pretty sure this was happening before. ugh im so tired of these little problems.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

yep most likely is draining your battery... try pulling the fuse for your radio if there is one and then drive for a few days and see if you battery goes dead again- if it doesnt you know it was the radio

Old 10-24-2010, 02:00 AM
mexico
Rookie

Originally Posted by Big_Wheel
yep most likely is draining your battery... try pulling the fuse for your radio if there is one and then drive for a few days and see if you battery goes dead again- if it doesnt you know it was the radio
i'll pull the fuse in the morning. do i need a new radio to fix this?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:27 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mexico
Brother, you are not being serious? The handbook states that a radio that continues to hunt for CD's is not repairable. Matter of fact on page 9 it says the entire truck has to be replaced.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Brother, you are not being serious? The handbook states that a radio that continues to hunt for CD's is not repairable. Matter of fact on page 9 it says the entire truck has to be replaced.
LOL....nice....

OP - Go get a new CD player man.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Professional

Awesome -- might be a good idea to pull your CD's out before you take the fuse out -- not that it's hard to plug it back in, but still.

Just think of it as an excuse to get a new CD player.

On another note -- I put a CD player in my bike, it runs off of two power wires - one turns on when the vehicle is on, the other is always on. Hopefully it is just a problem with the player staying on and not a problem with a switch. I have the power switch, the one that actually turns the head unit on and off tied to a regular rocker switch, so it doesn't have to turn it on and off with my bike. The other wire only should provide power so your radio can keep time while youre vehicle is not running -- which should never drain your battery.

Pull the fuse and check that first. At least then you will be at the root of the problem.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 AM
vinnierap
Rookie

Originally Posted by mexico

Dude just go get an aftermarket unit.... Dont bother with the OEM crap radio...

Quick Reply: Radio making noise when truck is off