3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 dodge ram models??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:06 PM
media1988
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 dodge ram models??

I bought a 2008 dodge ram long horn today. the dealer really didnt know what was in the truck but i got a good price so i bought it i did my research, but not as much as i should. it is the longhorn package and i dont even know what that is.does anyone know what comes with this package? and i also want to get a intake and chip any good brands i want to try and push 450 out of it anyone know what i need to get these numbers?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:10 PM
CardinalsFan11
Professional

Well if you wanna push 450 HP you better have a hemi.

To boost your HP there are a few things you can do.

1. Homebrew CAI, there are a bunch of threads on how to make your own. Just as effective and far cheaper than buying a name brand.

2. Exhaust, most people are big into FlowMaster and Magnaflow.

3. As for superchips there are lots of discussions and threads about them. Go with the SuperChips or Diablo Sport Predator.

4. Put in cams.

There are tons of ways to boost horsepower

****Use the search function and every question you asked in this thread will be answered. And feel free to use punctuation...

Old 10-29-2010, 07:11 PM
media1988

i have the hemi. i was looking at a kn intake im getting headers and custom exhuast from a local shop prob with no cats or mufflers and a superchips tune if after that i need cams that will be next. anyhone know what a long horn is though?

Old 10-29-2010, 07:26 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Wlcome to DF.
As stated, the Search function is going to be your best friend. Also check out the FAQ section where there are lots of stickied threads of polls that show you what people like the most and what their experiences are.
I'll try and answer a few of your questions though,

Longhorn; It's a southern version of the Bighorn package from what i gathered, which is 20" wheels, stickers on the fenders, foglights, not positive but I believe the rear slider window is part of it as well?
Increasing HP. 450hp, there's no way unless you plan to slap on a supercharger. These trucks either have over 25%drivetrain loss or don't actually produce 345hp at the crank from the factory. They Dyno out between 250rwhp-280rwhp depending on the type of dyno and how it's calibrated.
I'll tell you right now, spending $300 on an intake is a waste of money IMO and won't net you much gain. You need other supporting mods to gain maybe 5hp from a CAI. I would reccomend sdoing what I did and buy a K&N filter to replace the stock one. That will be your best bang for your buck.
Exhaust, leave your cats alone. they are already high flow and will barely net you an increase if any at all. I'd say 2rwhp and a loss in torque if your going with a free flowing muffler, plus a bunch of problems with sensors and codes being set off. Just not worth it.
Muffler, I have a Magnaflow and love it, just beware these exhaust are T409 Stainless and if you go throwing on mild steel junk it'll probably need to replaced in the future.
Superchips...Best tuner for a 2004+ Ram IMO. Has MDS delete and the transmission tuning abilities are out of this world. I highly reccomend searching through the Superchips sticky at the top of the main page. There are a ton of pages to go through, but it will teach you everything you need to know about the tuner!

Old 10-29-2010, 08:37 PM
media1988

thanks for all the info. yes it does have the rear slider i just can find any info on the long horn. so its basically the same thing as the big horn right just the "texas edition". so your saying just a drop in is good? in that case imight just get the intake kit from pep boys and make a fenderwell one just for kicks and i am looking at the superchips i read through some of those hundreds of pages lol. i was looking at headers and full exhuast and i guess high flow cats. it has exhuast on it now from the dealer 3 inch cat back no name muffler and some wierd elephants trunk tailpipe setup. i guess the previous exhuast would not pass emissions. im gonna order a superchip tommorow grab the intake kit and any suggestion on a tb and spacer. im looking to spend 700 on mods for motor and still up in the air if i want to level it or lift as i wont really be off roading.thank you again these forums are awesome.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a tb spacer you are waisting your money they don't work on modern engines. Superchips is an awesome tuner but if you plan on doing a cam swap you'll need to go diablo. Eastman does some good ported tb as soon as I can get the money im gonna get one. Intake look at the diy section you can make one out of pvc for $50 to $80

Old 04-23-2012, 10:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^ Youre answering a thread for a guy who hasnt been here since Dec.

Quick Reply: 2008 dodge ram models??