3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Kool Vue Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010 | 12:38 AM
mynameiscot
|
Unhappy Kool Vue Cold Air Intake

Last week I bought The Kool-Vue CAI as I saw recommend on here. After a very frustrating installation (no instructions) everything was great. Yesterday I heard a weird noise while driving. Pulled over, popped the hood and found that the rubber bolt with two male threads on each end that holds the CAI to the body had broke in half. I can not find anywhere to replace this. The Kool-Vue website is a joke and the website I bought it from wants me to send back the entire CAI to send a replacement. I believe this is called a Vibra mount? If anyone has any experience with this CAI and could help that would be great! Thanks

Old 11-02-2010 | 07:03 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

no experience but a rubber bolt? Seriously? If you dont mind me asking, how much did the setup cost?

Old 11-02-2010 | 08:20 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

That's a common breaking point on the cheaper "ebay" CAIs. Pyro's kit from AirRam broke in the same place. I ended up replacing it with a grade 5 bolt and fab'd bushings/shock absorbers out of a couple of cut pieces of rubber hose.

The other place that tends to snap on these cheaper kits is the weld where this bracket attaches to the CAI tube...

Old 11-02-2010 | 11:15 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

I agree with Hammer, even my over priced MOPAR CAI broke the mount, it is common. Usually you can Fab something up with a spring or some other type of shock absorber, do not mount it solid.

Old 11-03-2010 | 07:10 PM
mynameiscot
|

Originally Posted by weedahoe
no experience but a rubber bolt? Seriously? If you dont mind me asking, how much did the setup cost?
It's rubber in the middle with two male ends on each side. The rubber is suposed to be like a shock absorber. I puchased it for $93 after shipping.

Old 11-03-2010 | 10:18 PM
mynameiscot
|

Thanks, Ill see if I can make something that'll work.

Old 11-03-2010 | 10:26 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

^^ would certainly be cheaper than the shipping costs involved sending it back to them!

Quick Reply: Kool Vue Cold Air Intake