3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

u joint/ driveshaft help ASAP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 AM
elite1msmith
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default u joint/ driveshaft help ASAP PLEASE

2004 ram 2500 4x quad short bed hemi, 140 k i just went to install a new rear u-joint on the drive shaft, when i installed it, one side of the retianing clips kinda bows outward, because the joint or caps are slightly too large? or not sqeezed together?

problem is the u joiunt does not want to turn freely now.

can i just graind off .005 to get it to work or return the joint..or will this problem fix it self when i start driving and the part wears?

Old 11-09-2010, 11:02 AM
RSDodgelover
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

It sounds like it is too tight on one axis. It will not get better with wear, it will just self destruct. You need to get the binding straightened out so the joint is free in both swivel directions.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:48 PM
BIG HOOK
Professional

If the u-joint is not quite centered in the yoke by a hair or two, you can tap the yoke lightly a few times with a heavy hammer and the u-joint will correct itself in the yoke (drive shaft removed from vehicle and suspended freely). If the binding is more severe, remove and carefully reinstall the u-joint but it may indicate that the yoke is distorted a bit too much and needs to be replaced.

Last edited by BIG HOOK; 11-09-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 11-09-2010, 10:30 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Yep, I just changed mine and they did the same thing. Just gently tap on the yoke until the joint swivels freely in each direction... its kinda hard to hit a happy medium. If you don't, the joint will wear out very quickly.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like maybe too much smacking has alread occurred. You might have dropped a bearing pin inside the cup. I would pull it apart and make everything right and carefully press it back together. Pounding on the joint is not the best idea. A little judicial tapping however is usually necessary.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Sounds like maybe too much smacking has already occurred. You might have dropped a bearing pin inside the cup. I would pull it apart and make everything right and carefully press it back together.
Yep, seen that happen more than once.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:21 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Sure, needle bearings can fall into the cup while installing the joint (especially if it was beat in with a hammer), but what he is describing happens while simply pressing the caps on too. And, if he got the caps on along with both of the outer "springs" (sorry, cant think of the proper name of that part), then I doubt he would have dropped a needle bearing in the cup.

I have never installed a joint without having to tap on the sides of the yoke to get the joint to swing freely in each direction.

Quick Reply: u joint/ driveshaft help ASAP PLEASE