3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thinking about a second battery need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM
crazyandy202
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a second battery need some help

Hey I was thinking about putting in a second battery and was wondering if anyone had any diagrams or anything? I need some help with this one. If anyone had pictures of their setup that would be awesome too! thanks for your help!!!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically, it is just running the negative ALT wire to one battery, a jumper from positive to positive of the batteries, the the positive ALT wire to the other battery. Then ground the negatives. However, you don't NEED to have both batteries under the hood. You can run a second smaller one in the truck or in the bed or wherever you want.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:49 AM
freestyledude
Captain

If you have an aftermarket intake you can run a cummins battery tray where the current airbox is. You'll probably want an isolator for the 2nd battery, that way when the truck's shut off it will only draw from one battery, that way you can kill that one completely and still start up fine

Old 11-11-2010, 07:01 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, the placement is not very important. I was contemplating welding up a tray and putting it in the space behind the front bumper where guys put a hidden winch or air compressor. Plenty of room there.

Another consideration I had was in the wasted space under my toolbox, but 2/0 wire for a run that far ain't cheap.

I finally decided I'm going to remove my hood, cut the front out of my scoop to make it functional and re-route my CAI into the scoop, thus freeing up the space for the Mopar passenger side tray.

Just had so much going on lately that I have not gotten around to it. But I need to do this, with the winch, extra lights and all, I really should have a second battery...

Old 11-11-2010, 07:46 AM
[meph]
Professional

if you buy 2 batteries of the same brand, same style, and at the same time, you don't need to worry about an isolator, unless you plan on drawing a lot of power while the truck is off. if you have different batteries without an isolator, the stronger battery will drain and kill the weaker batt.

as far as wiring. well its very easy. just run a positive lead (0gauge) from the postive of one battery to the other, then ground (also 0gauge) the 2nd batt to the frame. done deal.

if ur having probs with dimming lights and don't think you are getting enough juice, you are probably right. i'd sugggest upgrading the factory wiring to beefer (0gauge). do all of the grounds, and all of the positive leads. 4gauge is plenty for the alt to the battery due to the short distance and the alt won't ever put out enough to fry a 4gauge wire. that will drastically improve your electrical system.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:11 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Believe it or else, with all my battery draining stuff, I'm still running the original battery. Has the little cute window in it and it's still green as hell.

Was going to finally break down and replace with two Yaller top Optimas when I finally get 'round to removing my hood and cutting under the scoop. Re-routing the CAI will be cake, about $5 in PVC.

Advantage in the Optima is that they are also a deep cycle so that batt. #2 can be there for a second trolling motor battery in my boat.

Been many a time the fishin' or duck huntin' been real good and the trip would have been extended except for the fact the trolling motor battery died.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Pics of my setup

Thats a CTD battery tray on the pass side with two 1000CA (850CCA) batteries. All wires were upgraded to 1/0 welding cables with crimped lugs.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a second battery need some help