3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5th Wheel Hitch Help, I am lost guys!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:53 PM
boggshm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5th Wheel Hitch Help, I am lost guys!

Hey guys, I am really lost on this one and it seems like the more I search the internet, the more confused I get. So here goes, I appreciate any help you fellas can offer.

I have a Trail-et gooseneck horse trailer and I am trying to figure out the best way to tow it with my '03 1500. I have been looking at B+W gooseneck hitches but I am concerned with the turning radius since I have a short bed. Also, the bed is so deep that there is hardly any clearance between the top of the bed an the trailer. It seems like if I turn too sharp either way I am going to rip my bed to shreds. I have also been looking at some 5th wheel hitches, but I have never been around them so they seem so foreign. Is there some type of kingpin coupler that hooks into the gooseneck coupler of the trailer so I could tow that with a 5th wheel?

More than anything, I am just looking for the safest way to pull this trailer. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys!

Old 11-14-2010, 03:00 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1500s aren't designed for fifth-wheel towing. Safest way to pull that trailer is with a 2500.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:21 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

5th wheel towing goes based on axle distance of the towing vehicle. This is in excess of the payload and gvwr's.
As far as the bed clearance. The 2500/2500's have the identical bed, so there must be a spacer that you can purchase to give the needed clearance. You really must account for different grades and bumps that might alter the trailers clearance.

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel Hitch Help, I am lost guys!