3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power tap in cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Go_Green
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power tap in cab

Hey guys, I'm looking for an easy to reach location in the cab to hardwire a radar detector.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Karmike2
Lightbulb

You could pull off the big dash bezel that goes around the radio and incorporates the vents and storage pockets.

On mine I just gave it a firm pull on the 2 small square storage compartments and it popped right off. You can then tap in to either the cigarette lighter or the power outlet leads. I think one is always on and one is switched with the ignition.

I am sure there are other ideas, but this is one option.

Hope it helps...

Old 11-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Geezir
Veteran

Use a proper fuse tap on a switched fuse (from the hot side of the fuse) in the fuse/relay box (i used the cigar lighter for my 2 way radio). Include an in-line fuse holder (10amp fuse should do) and run the wire into the cab. There is a grommet there for the hood release cable. Just slice it a bit and slide the wire through. Find a ground and you're done.

There are also quite a few spare switched fuses in the fuse box if you don't want to use a fuse tap.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Go_Green
Rookie

I want to avoid running through the firewall if possible. I'll solder into the cigarette lighter wires if I can get the panel off that easy. I was hoping there was a wire hanging out under the column but this sounds just as easy. Thanks!

Old 11-23-2010, 07:13 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run a wire up the A-pillar from a switched hot (make sure you fuse it). Come out around the rear view mirror. There is a frequently-unused harness under the steering wheel that is a switched hot.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
bikerglasses

I think you can tap off the cigarette lighter --that's what I did to run my hella's behind the grill switch. There's pictures somewhere of the wire, a lot of guys tapped off that to run the lights.

Quick Reply: Power tap in cab