3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changing head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Atwiss
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing head gaskets

so i have come to accept my head gaskets are bad and was wondering what all i need to know about changing them like tips. it is a 2004 ram 1500 3.7

Old 11-25-2010, 01:26 AM
freestyledude
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I'm not sure to the 3.7 specifically, but on my Hemi I had to get new head bolts. When draining radiator fluid make sure to drain the block, there's a few places to do so, use them all. And be careful where you put your trouble light, coolant will conduct electricity LOL. Easiest way to install the push rods is to loosen the rocker arm retaining bolts, slide the push rod by, and push it down to seat on the pushrod (you'll get what I mean when you try it). Double check to make sure the right head gasket goes on the right side lol there's markings on the gaskets don't just eyeball it, they will fit on the wrong side. If you don't have a factory service manual, look in weedahoe's signature and download it. Great manual to have.

Thats the very basics I remember from when I rebuilt my first motor in my current truck. The manual will help lots. Also, might be a good idea to book the heads to get checked somewhere to make sure they're not warped or cracked after you do all that hard work.

Last edited by freestyledude; 11-25-2010 at 01:31 AM.

Quick Reply: changing head gaskets