3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 bind question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010 | 11:43 PM
jmath22
|
Default 4x4 bind question

I have a 04 Ram Hemi with AWD and after I put it in 4 wheel hi and then back to AWD it doesn't want to release. The 4x4 dash light goes out and acts like it went back to AWD but when I try to turn I still get the bind like I am in 4 hi. I have tried to cycle through the gears to get it to release but it doesn't work. The only way I can get it to release is to turn the truck off and then when I start it back up everything is fine. Any ideas? Thanks to anyone that can help.

Old 12-02-2010 | 01:34 AM
nussdawg395
Veteran

To get everything to properly release you may have to do any combination of stopping putting truck in reverse and or neutral and leaving off the brakes to give everything a chance to get pressure off and go back to open. That's what I do if it doesn't come out on its own.

Old 12-02-2010 | 08:41 AM
Slava
Veteran

And what your user manual says about such transition? What kind of actions do you need to perform? If your truck does not behave according to user manual then probably it's a time to take it to garage?

Old 12-02-2010 | 11:46 PM
jmath22
|

The purpose of the forum is so that I can find advice to fix my truck without having to take it to a repair shop. You answered the obvious by stating that if it doesn't operate the way the manual says to take it into a repair shop. I guess the next time my tail light goes out I will take it in since it doesn't operate the way my owners manual says. LOL

Switching between AWD and 4 Hi can be done while the vehicle is moving and then it should release when it is switched back. The dash light for 4x4 goes out and the light is solid next to the AWD after changing it back. Seems like the truck thinks it switched back but physically it does not until I turn the vehicle off and start it back up. Even if the vehicle has not moved.

Quick Reply: 4x4 bind question