3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9L trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 01:12 PM
dpgpaving
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9L trouble

i have a 2002 ram 1500 5.9L, a few times when i start teh truck i would get a check engire light, code 340, (camshaft position sensor malfunction and code 1391)and after fueling up i couldnt get the truck running. after a little while it would fire right up and be fine. well recently i fueled up and it wouldnt start, at all. i can hear the fuel pump kick on. i changed the crankshaft position sensor and the coil. still nothing. I had a good camshaft position sensor (good when removed)that i replaced when i replaced the entire distributor because thats the error code i got 340. I dont know where to look next. a friend wants to put a scope on it to look at teh flywheel but he says he's never heard of the flywheel shattering without you being able to hear something being knocked around. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-05-2010, 02:40 PM
michael davis
Lightbulb 5.9L wont start after fueling!

I would check the oil pressure sending unit i think on some models if the pressure drops below a specified amount the truck wont start, just a thought, However i also think that this would give an error code and set the ck enjine light. did you check spark when cranking in the no start situation?Whats your fuel pressure? Vaporlock? was it hot at the time. ethanol will cause a hard or no start, when temp is hi, ie summer, running the heck out of it. crank angle sensor,

Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the third generation Ram section,
FF

Old 12-05-2010, 08:16 PM
brettj2408
Captain

there are many things you can do.
you sure its notched in the right place on the distributor?
you can remove it back out and check if you have power and ground.
your P0340 code is telling you your ECM is not recieving the signal from the the CMP sensor

Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 PM
dpgpaving
Default update

i sent the truck to a shop a friend works at and they ended up grinding down the bell housing so that the crankshaft pos. sensor made good contact. runs like a top now. $300 fix includes everything.

Quick Reply: 5.9L trouble