3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire Chains On OEM 20's

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010 | 06:16 PM
AlpineWarren
|
Default Tire Chains On OEM 20's

Hi All,

Ran into this while reading the manual today (just got the truck Saturday):

Do not use tire chains on 4x4 Ram trucks equipped
with P265/70R17, LT275/70R17, P275/60R20, tires.
There may not be adequate clearance for the chains
and you are risking structural or body damage to
your vehicle.

Honestly it looks to me that a set of Class S on the rears would have plenty of room all around and on the inside?

Is this just a general disclaimer?

Most the time we're okay in California with 4WD and M+S tires, but still have to carry and show the chains a few times a year - I'd like to get a set I know I can at least use if the roads turn icy and dicy.

Thanks for the input!

Old 12-06-2010 | 06:19 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

it's just a general disclaimer to cover their ***

Old 12-06-2010 | 07:11 PM
Slava
Veteran

Originally Posted by AlpineWarren
Most the time we're okay in California with 4WD and M+S tires, but still have to carry and show the chains a few times a year - I'd like to get a set I know I can at least use if the roads turn icy and dicy.
In California? Wow. In my part of Ontario chains are prohibited but in California allowed! It's a crazy world

Old 12-06-2010 | 07:36 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star

WOW! things must have changed in Alpine,CA since i've lived there.I've lived anywhere from Lakeside to Alpine for most of my life(untill I moved to texas).And I never remember the weather getting that bad around there.now if you were to go up on sunrise highway I could see that.There were many times when i was growing up,driving my dads old chevy up there.That I should've had chains but didn't,And that was scary.

Old 12-07-2010 | 10:55 AM
AlpineWarren
|

Originally Posted by rtmtrrdr
WOW! things must have changed in Alpine,CA since i've lived there.I've lived anywhere from Lakeside to Alpine for most of my life(untill I moved to texas).And I never remember the weather getting that bad around there.now if you were to go up on sunrise highway I could see that.There were many times when i was growing up,driving my dads old chevy up there.That I should've had chains but didn't,And that was scary.
Yea no worries in Alpine, but Cuyamaca of course and we go to Big Bear a lot and I want to be prepared not only for the inspection - But in case I really want to use them.

Old 12-07-2010 | 06:05 PM
dave-o
Veteran

if you have a 4x4 all u need to do is carry them. I have been going there all my life, and never put them on. I bought the cheapest set of chains, they fit on a honda civic. All you need to do is show them that you have them.

Old 12-08-2010 | 10:56 AM
AlpineWarren
|

Originally Posted by dave-o
All you need to do is show them that you have them.
That's true - But there have been times that I have chosen to use them, and spent time pulling 4wd vehicles out of ditches up in Big Bear.

Quick Reply: Tire Chains On OEM 20's