3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering repair/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:33 PM
mick74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering repair/replacement

I know this issue has been beat to death on the forums about steering and I may have overlooked the answers-but- I need to know a few details. I have a 99 Ram 1500 4x4 ext. cab 5.9l. My steering is horrible, the truck wonders and I am constantly moving the steering wheel around to compensate. After spending $1500+ I still have the same trouble. I had a new track bar installed less than 6 months ago and already it is bad. At this point I am being told I need to replace the track bar again and the steering stabilizer, the shock thing. I am no mechanic but I believe I will try to tackle this myself to save some money, unless this is a tough job? Questions are, 1] Why would the track bar go bad so quickly, should I be looking for something that is causing this? 2] What is a good brand track bar and steering stabilizer that will hold up well "I do some minor off road use when hunting, etc."? 3] Is there any additional parts/bushings that should be replaced when I install these two parts that may not come with them? I will most likely add a steering stabilizer kit when finished. Any answers and advice will be appreciated!

Thanks

Quick Reply: Steering repair/replacement