3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi engine tick!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 03:53 PM
vanisle22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hemi engine tick!

okay so my 05 hemi ticks quite a bit when at idle its is getting colder out but i aslo just had my oil changed im running royal purple 5w 20. the truck also will bog when i hit 40 mph and i was told that it could be the throttle body gummed up so i got that cleaned out it feels alittle better but still ticks and bogs im wondering if its more serious of a problem? the truck has 50242miles on it im from canada so i converted it over.thanks

Old 12-18-2010, 04:28 PM
LazyLightning
Professional
Talking

Do the key trick and find out what codes are being thrown.
What you do is, turn the ignition keyfrom the off to just when the ignition only lights come on, on the dashbaord. but not the last click on the switch so as to start it.
Quickly turn it back to the off position.
Then do this a further 2 times, making three in all and leave it in the ignition on position on the third time.
It should take 2-3 seconds to do this correctly.
Then, on this third try, look at where the oddometer displays the mileage on your dashboard display.
You will find that the computer runs through some checks and any codes that have been thrown, will be displayed in the oddometer as P---- a 4 digit number.
Make a note of these codes and the prefix letter.
Do a search on this board for error codes and look them up.
This will tell you what system/part, is causing your check lights to come on.
That will narrow things down a bit.
Post your codes up on this board and the guys will give you a heads up, on what to either check/clean or replace.
This will work for 03 Hemis and others,as I do it on my 03 and it works 100%.
If you can't get the codes up in the oddometer display, your turning your key incorrectly.
Hope this helps and post up your codes.
Al

Pulled this thread for ya, see if that helps. Did you try the negative cable battery disconnect (20 minute) to reset the computer? Some guys I think pull both cables & touch em together. Either way works. Or even pulling fuse 23? You may wanna use the search on that one tho! (its right @ the top of this page, & is your friend)

Old 12-18-2010, 04:56 PM
vanisle22

thanks im gunna try that right now!

Old 12-18-2010, 05:05 PM
glass3222
Captain

Key trick does not work on '05s, at least not mine anyway.

I would definitely clean the TB. Also, when was the last time the plugs were changed? For the tick, check your exhaust manifold bolts, the heads on the bolts like to break off for some reason and this causes exhaust leaks and can result in the symptoms that you are describing.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:18 PM
vanisle22

I cleaned the throttle body that didnt do much and yea i figured out the key trick doesnt work ive looked at the bolts on the manifolds casue it almost sounds like its coming from there but i cant seem to tell if there busted

Old 12-18-2010, 05:20 PM
vanisle22

i bought the truck 4 months ago and he had the plugs changed 10 months before that

Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say thats normal behavior for that truck,
i got a diablosport trinity and i no longer have that 40mph bog

Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 PM
vanisle22

how much did you pay for it and do u think i should get cold air and exhaust first

Old 12-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Flexikid

My tick comes and goes. I really think it has something to do with the engine timing since when I change my superchips mode it will stop the tick until the engine adjusts. Or when I pull my traval trailer and unhook it will tick real bad until the computer adjusts back to normal mode. My tick sounds like an exhaust leak but there is no leak and when you work it hard it will tick more once you lighten the load. I also suspect a poor design in the knock sensor has something to do with it since this would effect timing when the engine is getting beat on. My 2 cents for what its worth.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:35 PM
ElHombre03
Default Hemi Tick

I bought an '03 Hemi in Apr '09 with 103,xxx and oil was really black and motor ticked. The first oil change I added one quart of trans fluid and drove 1000 miles and changed oil. The next 3 oil changes at 2000 mile intervals included 1 quart of Rislone. No more hemi tick as of this last oil change. I think the motor was pretty dirty internally.

Just my experience.

Quick Reply: hemi engine tick!