3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help lowering spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:01 PM
freestyledude
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help lowering spare tire

Having a helluva time changing tires, tire changer broke, air compressor line broke, tire valve broke, can't get bead to seat.... argh. Haven't even got one tire back on the truck!
Anyway, need to put the spare on and just drive but the spare won't lower down. Anyway I can get it down w/o cutting off the bracket? Don't have a torch to do it. The shaft just spins and does nothing

Old 12-23-2010, 07:16 PM
04Hemi1500
Amateur

trying pry on the spare itself after you turn the bar to lower it, only turn a couple times or it could fall and injur if it has nevr been down they stick to the plate the but up against.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had to get down and kick it, it was rusted in place lol just becareful it dosen;t fall on you

Old 12-24-2010, 01:20 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

I had to cut mine once, use a set of tin snips or something to that effect.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:18 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

When I had mine lowered, I put antiseize on a rag and wiped it on the line to help prevent rusting.

I'm not sure on your spare tire, but as already mentioned some presure on it while rotating the shaft. Also, make sure the shaft is actually engaged in the keyhole!
I have a locking shaft on mine that will spin and spin unless the right end key is used. If you have a square hole in the end of yours you have no key, but it still has to seat itself to be able to turn. It would bind if you were to keep spinning and spinning so I think that's your situation.
As far as the keyed shafts, the ends look like the squiggly key patterns used on the face of lug nuts.

To seat your tire after the bead has been broke... Get it where it needs to be and lay it on the ground. Now, take some starting fluid and squirt the inside of the tire like point at the wheel inside the tire and when you go around the perimeter once, spray a line up the side wall to the tread. Take either a torch or a match on the end of a stick and light the fluid. The fluid inside the tire will explode and seat the bead. You don't want to be even an arms length away as it will shoot out a flame. Fill instantly because the tire will shrink and shrivel and will break itself off the bead.
Do a Youtube search on seating a bead with starter fluid so you get the idea. BE CAREFUL!
I have done several tires with no incedents. It can be safe if you are safe. I assume no responsibility for anyones actions and merely representing a short cut way to save a buck.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Bent
Veteran

Mine has the anti-theft key in the winch shaft as well.
I can't engage it with the two peice extandable unit, as the first shaft is too short, so I need to use only the first shaft with a socket and extension wedged into it.

The next time I need to drop my spare, I'm going to throw teh lock in the ditch.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 PM
freestyledude
Captain

got the tire to move a bit, but the shaft in the truck isn't engaging, I pulled it right out, looks like a pin or something has broken so it won't engage

also, I'm gonna try to avoid using the ether method since I'm using balance beads. Did a flame test with one and they do get soft in a hurry.

**Just an update : I had to cut the tire carrier off with an arc welder. Have a fire extinguisher ready if you do this

Last edited by freestyledude; 01-08-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Help lowering spare tire