3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

quick hid question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:55 PM
05Redram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick hid question

ok i just installed a dual beam kit from ddmtuning on my 05 ram. i did buy the error code elimator from them but i still have the flicker on dim and the brights work fine. i have done alot fo searching and have found that a 50w resistor or a 10000uf capicitor will work. All radio shack had was 20w resistors, will this possibly work? if not where does the capicitor go?

Old 12-24-2010, 02:40 AM
Atwiss
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure on the 20watts but i used 50 watts on both sides did you look at the HID specific section it pretty much explains everything

Old 12-24-2010, 10:02 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Look HERE
20 watters won't work. They don't pull enough current that the computer needs to sense.
Originally Posted by weedahoe
So my taking 50 watt load resistors and adding them onto the HID harnesses, we can used them to replicate the resistance needed to trick the PCM/FCM into thinking there are bulbs there and that will reciprocate the two issues stated above. In other words, full voltage will be supplied and no Lamp Out light on the dash.

Specifically, the resistors get wired as such. We know there are two ends to each resistor and there are three wires on each headlight. Take one load resistor and splice it to the low beam (12v) wire and the other end to the common (-) wire. The other resistor goes with one end spliced to the high beam (12v) wire and the other to the same common (-) wire.
Capacitors get wired the same way as a load resistor. 10000uf is pretty big and i don't think you need that much. Your cancellors are capacitors. You shouldn't need anymore because they are what eliminates the lamp out.

I move most HID thread to the Stickied thread, but since most of the topics have been covered I link and lock. You are not the only one this happens to. We are trying to keep the tech section free from clutter, otherwise we would have 10 HID thread floating around the first 2 pages all discussing the same issue's, plus it makes it difficult for others to find the answer if they have to look through tons of threads.
Good Luck.

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-24-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: quick hid question