3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Hemi AWD Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 PM
kramer04hemi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Hemi AWD Question

Hey Everyone,

I have been trying to do some research on my truck and have not been able to find much information about some part of it. I happen to own a 04 Quad Qab Hemi with the off road package, and 3.92 rear axle. My question is, is that the truck came with the AWD system that was introduced in 04, i was wondering if anyone had any more information on this system, as how it works compared to 4WD as my truck as that as well? and anything else they could pass along.

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Slava
Veteran

Off road package and AWD? Strange combination...

Old 12-31-2010, 03:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The electronic AWD system is a system that is safe to run all the time. It senses wheel slippage and can deliver up to 48% power to the front wheels as needed.
It's a nice system for driving in conditions where 4WD isn't needed all the time but conditions can call for it at times such as in wintry weather where most of the roads are clear but there might be "spots" that are iffy.

The downsides are you have electric crap that can be "something else to break", repairs of the system are expensive and to my knowledge, nobody has developed a lift kit that will work with it...

Old 12-31-2010, 03:23 PM
kramer04hemi
Amateur

Yeah i do not think this thing has 2wd, instead of having the selector on the floor i just have a **** on the dash that i can switch from AWD, to 4 hi and 4 lo, But yeah i thought it was an interesting package as well.

So am i still exprienicng the roughly 30 percent power loss in the drive train even running AWD?

So i am assuming it dis-engages on the hi-way? being i noticed when im at a stop light and if i try to get on it i cannot break the tires loose which is a good thing i guess..

Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kramer04hemi
Yeah i do not think this thing has 2wd, instead of having the selector on the floor i just have a **** on the dash that i can switch from AWD, to 4 hi and 4 lo, But yeah i thought it was an interesting package as well.

So am i still exprienicng the roughly 30 percent power loss in the drive train even running AWD?

So i am assuming it dis-engages on the hi-way? being i noticed when im at a stop light and if i try to get on it i cannot break the tires loose which is a good thing i guess..
No, no 2wd.
You have atleast as much drivetrain loss as a normal Ram if not a little more due to the loss when your front wheels are engaged as it takes more energy to turn due to friction.
I believe it engages whenever needs be so if your on the highway and come across ice, it will engage additional wheels to ......slide with the rest...lol I know Subaru's have a front axle opposite drive to the rear engaged all the time, so I'm not sure if the Ram is similar or if it acts like a normal "auto" 4wd vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2004 Hemi AWD Question