3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Courtesy lights swap / LED bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:37 AM
eimco104@bluewin.ch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Courtesy lights swap / LED bulbs

I everybody, I am new to the forum, and I need some help
I am trying to replace the original courtesy bulbs with LED ones from GoRecon, but I can' remove the lenses, my truck is a 06 1500 with a sunroof, on the service manual I downloaded I did not find instruction, the one available is for the version without sunroof.
I would also some suggestions about replacing all the bulbs with LED ones.
Thanks, over here in Europe is not easy to find cool stuff, and above all knowledge.
Massimo

Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

In my 2006 Srv Man look on page 2084 of 9267 and you find the following:

LAMP-READING

REMOVAL

BULB - WITHOUT SUNROOF

NOTE:
On vehicles equipped with an optional overhead console the standard front dome lamp is replaced by two combination dome and reading lamps that are integral to the console housing. Each of these lamps is controlled by the door ajar switches on the courtesy lamp circuit, but also are independently controlled by a switch that is activated by depressing the lamp lens. The bulb types and service procedures are identical for both of these lamps.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

2. Using a small thin-bladed screwdriver, gently pry between each side of the lamp lens and the overhead console housing (1) to unsnap the pivot tabs (3) on the lens from the pivots in the lamp housing.

3. With the lens disengaged from both pivots, pull the front of the lens forward far enough to disengage the tab (2) on the rear edge of the lens from the slot in the rear of the overhead console lamp housing.

4. Remove the lens from the housing.

5. Carefully unsnap the bulb (2) from the two bulb holders (1) within the overhead console lamp housing

INSTALLATION

BULB - WITHOUT SUNROOF

CAUTION:
Always use the correct bulb size and type for replacement. An incorrect bulb size or type may overheat and cause damage to the lamp, the socket and/or the lamp wiring.
NOTE: On vehicles equipped with an optional overhead console the standard front dome lamp is replaced by two combination dome and reading lamps that are integral to the console housing. Each of these lamps is controlled by the door ajar switches on the courtesy lamp circuit, but also are independently controlled by a switch that is activated by depressing the lamp lens. The bulb types and service procedures are identical for both of these lamps.

1. Align the ends of the bulb (2) with the two bulb holders (1) within the overhead console lamp housing.

2. Carefully press the bulb firmly and evenly into the bulb holders until it snaps into place.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 AM
eimco104@bluewin.ch

Thanks, I read the instructions, but they do not fit my console, the lenses with sunroof are rounder and they have no recess to insert the screwdriver. That' what puzzles me, the lenses sit too tight. I forgot to mention my truck is a Laramie, maybe this helps
Massimo

Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The service instructions are identical for both sunroof and not.
I do remember when i pulled out my overhead dome light there was no recess like there was stated. i still had to stick a skinny screwdriver in there, scratch up my lens a tiny bit to free the retaining clip that hold it inplace.
Now, your overhead lights you want to replace, those are the ones upfront in the middle and thre's 2 correct? From the diagram I seen, it looks like you have to insert the screwdriver on the rear side and the lenses fold down towards the windhshield and allow you direct acess to the bulbs.

moving this thread to Technical for ya.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:13 AM
eimco104@bluewin.ch

You're right there's 2 of them, I will give it a try and let you know later.
Does anybody have a list of LED replacement bulbs vs original bulbs for the rest like running lights and so forth?

Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

HERE is a bulb site

also:

COURTESY LAMPS
BULB APPLICATION TABLE
LAMP BULB
CARGO LAMP 912
DOME LAMP (SINGLE, DUAL, NON-SWITCHED OR
SWITCHED)....578
FRONT DOME/READING WITH OVERHEAD
CONSOLE AND WITHOUT SUNROOF......212-2
FRONT DOME/READING WITH OVERHEAD
CONSOLE AND WITH SUNROOF.........192
GLOVE BOX LAMP....... 194
VANITY LAMP....... 37
PANEL LAMPS
BULB APPLICATION TABLE
LAMP BULB
CENTER BEZEL LAMP........ 37

I looked at the manual again and for the overhead complete removal it appeared you had acess to the bulbs from behind the entire overhead unit.
To remove the overhead console, there is a screw upfront towards the windshield. Once that is out, you grab both left and right sides and pull down and pop the unit out of the 2 snap clips that hold it inplace. Clips are on the rear(closest to you).
That's all that hold that console up.

Last edited by dirtydog; 01-05-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-06-2011, 09:36 AM
eimco104@bluewin.ch

Thanks to everybody, I finalli could take the dome apart unscrewing upfront as Dirtydog suggested, only to discover that I have the wromg LED.
Anyway thanks again

Massimo

Quick Reply: Courtesy lights swap / LED bulbs