3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07 Ram inherent front end shake when in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 AM
miroj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Ram inherent front end shake when in 4wd

My 07 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 5.7 has had a front end shake when driven in 4wd. After 3 trips to the dealer ship, I have been informed the condition is inherent to this vehicle.

SERVICE REPAIR TIP
PART NUMBER 5170 822AA
PART DISCRIPTION: FRONT AXLE HALF SHAFT
TSB NUMBER: NONE

"IF THE VEHICLE IS EXPERIENCING A LAUNCH SHUDDER/VIBRATION IN 4WD ONLY, DO NOT REPLACE THIS PART. THIS CONDITION IS INHERENT TO THE DESIGN OF THE VEHICLE AND CANNOT BE CHANGED."

This being my first Dodge truck, I have to say I am very dissapointed that the engineering staff desinged one year with a problem like this. I am not aware of any other similar make with this problem. My truck was inspected by two seperate dealers and confirmed all mechanicals are in great shape.

I would like to hear from the experts what your thoughts are to this and has anyone found a fix. I cannot stand driving this truck with this shake and if it cannot be fixed correctly, then Dodge has lost another customer.

Please provide any feed back.

Thanks again,

Miro

Old 01-19-2011, 12:34 PM
jdc62

I would have to disagree that the shake is “inherent to the design of the vehicle.” I’ve had an 07 Ram 1500 4WD for more than a year and have never experience any shake when driving in four-wheel mode. Do you notice it anytime it’s in 4WD or just when driving on dry pavement?

I’d say try a 3rd dealer and don’t share the diagnoses from the other dealers.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:57 PM
nateroach
Veteran

Need more info on the truck and the conditions the create the shudder/vibration.

Are you running a completely stock front end? no leveling/lift or other components?

are you getting this shutter all the time, just on dry paved surfaces? just on wet etc?

Pretty tough to diagnose a problem from a 1 sentence description of the problem.

nateroach

Old 01-19-2011, 02:29 PM
miroj

I posted my thread with the service tip from Dodge hoping there is a knowledgeable tech which would recgonize the problem.

The truck is stock with no leveling kits. New tires, brakes, rotors. Dealer even changed front bushings and tie rod ends all under warranty.

Whenever you engage the 4wd on wet, dry, snow, ice etc and start to accelerate the vehical experiences a shudder vibration coming from the front end. Any speed. Take it out of 4wd and shudder is gone. Both dealer ships used the MTS4100 noise vibration analyzer and determined the axle shaft is the problem. When they went to order the part, my post is what they saw.

The service advisor mentioned something about the bearings and that the following year they changed the bearing design???

jdc2 you are one of the lucky ones! I have randomly test drove 5 07 rams and have found they all did it. The last dealer even took an 07 off there lot and it did it while I was in the truck with them. I do have to say that both dealers and there service managers have gone out of there way.

Please take note the service tip I quoted in my thread is from Chrysler. I have read older posts which people mention Chrysler basically saying the same thing.

Thank you for your comments.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Matt99
Champion

they dont all do this, but there have been reports of this happening on 06-08 4x4s. They changed the design in 2006, and like you mentioned, somewhat changed it again in 09.

I havent heard of a fix, either. The so called death wobble that everyone will say it is only happens on 2500/3500 trucks.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 AM
miroj

I just spoke with my case manager at Chrysler and she advised me they are authorizing the dealership to correct the problem. Let's see how this ends up and how they will fix it.

Thank you all for reading my posts and if anyone does have feed back please still respond. I will post the resolution and fix so future owners don't have to go through this frustration.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Matt99
Champion

good to hear this

Old 01-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Blacksport
Captain

Originally Posted by miroj
My 07 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 5.7 has had a front end shake when driven in 4wd. After 3 trips to the dealer ship, I have been informed the condition is inherent to this vehicle.

SERVICE REPAIR TIP
PART NUMBER 5170 822AA
PART DISCRIPTION: FRONT AXLE HALF SHAFT
TSB NUMBER: NONE

"IF THE VEHICLE IS EXPERIENCING A LAUNCH SHUDDER/VIBRATION IN 4WD ONLY, DO NOT REPLACE THIS PART. THIS CONDITION IS INHERENT TO THE DESIGN OF THE VEHICLE AND CANNOT BE CHANGED."

This being my first Dodge truck, I have to say I am very dissapointed that the engineering staff desinged one year with a problem like this. I am not aware of any other similar make with this problem. My truck was inspected by two seperate dealers and confirmed all mechanicals are in great shape.

I would like to hear from the experts what your thoughts are to this and has anyone found a fix. I cannot stand driving this truck with this shake and if it cannot be fixed correctly, then Dodge has lost another customer.

Please provide any feed back.

Thanks again,

Miro
I have the exact same problem. Took it to the dealer, and they did change out the shaft, still the same problem. I guess I just learned to live with it. I almost don't even notice it anymore, but I understand your frustration. let us know how you make out.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 PM
rangstng

I guess i am lucky mine doesn't do it at all

Old 01-23-2011, 02:45 PM
IamFrank
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very interested to see what the dealer comes up with because mine does the same thing. Runs just fine, but has that damn vibration when in 4x4 and accelerating.

Please keep us posted!

Quick Reply: 07 Ram inherent front end shake when in 4wd