3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

08 dodge ram not starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:46 PM
ghowat122
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 08 dodge ram not starting

I have a 08 dodge ram 5.7 L hemi
woke up this morning and whent to start my truck, noticed that the two signal light were on steady. I then whent to start the truck and nothing. so I cheaked the battery cables and notice the daytime running light were on. so I tried again and still nothing. I can here the fuel pump turning on but nothing from the starter. So i checked the heater fan and windows and not working nore the radio. I also noticed as I whent in to phone a friend, when I locked the doors with the key the doors locked but no beep from the alarm. I then checked the fuses and they are all fine. Tryed to boost it but still nothing. Has anyone els had this problem and if so how to fix
thank you

Old 01-30-2011, 01:50 PM
ghowat122

I should add that the engine light went on the night before and that i had no isuies with the truck before this. 70000 km and noting.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Blacksport
Captain

Sorry, not to be a nag, and no help, but...
Whent = went
nore = nor
tryed = tried
els = else

Old 01-31-2011, 03:48 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

Charge the battery, everything that you say works does only cause it does not take a lot of juice to power them

Old 01-31-2011, 04:36 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah charge it or get someone with a good and big battery to jump you off and see what you get.

**Moved to the technical section**

Old 01-31-2011, 04:47 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, when my battery went dead from just sitting for 2 months and 110mA of current draw.... It took a long while before jump starting turned it over.

Hook up the jumper cables up and leave the other vehicle running for 20minutes. Then go back out and try to start your truck. I'm serious. My battery was so dead there was literally nothing for atleast 10minutes.
You may have a short-to-ground in your electrical causing all this, but your gonna need to spend a bit more time with a jumper vehicle than hook up and attempt within 30sec.
To give you an idea...After it started, I ran it for 1/2hr and then turned it off and hooked up a trickle charger and the charger took a full 48hrs to charge the battery!

Get it running and see if the problem doesn't go away, but with a very low battery, funny things happen with electrical. Hopefully it's something simple like a battery or alternator.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 AM
ghowat122

found out the batt was the problem. Took it to dodge and they said that the batt was undervolting and there was not enophe power to the computer. Changed the batt and cables now the truck runs fine. thank you for the help.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:51 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Glad you got it back up and running. Not the first time weve seen low or bad batteries causing issues

Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Deathrend
Rookie

That happened to me an my 08 Ram less than a week ago. The only other thing I can say is replace the battery connections, my negative fell apart just removing it.

Make sure you don't make my mistake though, I had to "Modify" the ones I bought to make them fit, as they where apparently meant for smaller batteries.

Quick Reply: 08 dodge ram not starting