3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 to hemi swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 04:03 PM
jrealyv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 to hemi swap

i have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 with a 4.7 in it. its going to take more money to fix the engine than buying a new one so i was thinking, why not upgrade? can it be done? what will i need to do? and i dont want to hear a bunch of people saying, "just buy a new truck" blah blah blah. if i wanted to hear that i would said "engine swap or buy new truck." thanks for the help

Old 02-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Buggsy
Professional

If you do a search, you'll find several posts about this topic. Out of all the posts, I think only two people have actually completed it. One on a Ram the other on a Dakota. You could drop in a new 4.7 in a day, but the Hemi swap is a whole new bag of problems.

Best of luck if you do try it. You could get an '04 1500 with a Hemi, and trade in your truck and come out ahead.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:14 PM
outcast
Professional

i looked into it to do to my truck u can do it u need to find a wrecked truck and take the motor and computer out of it and maybe some wiring i dont know if there diferent that year the tranny should be ok cause they had the hemi option that year

Old 02-08-2011, 06:17 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrealyv
i have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 with a 4.7 in it. its going to take more money to fix the engine than buying a new one so i was thinking, why not upgrade? can it be done? what will i need to do? and i dont want to hear a bunch of people saying, "just buy a new truck" blah blah blah. if i wanted to hear that i would said "engine swap or buy new truck." thanks for the help
What is wrong with your current engine? Are you doing the work yourself? A hemi swap is doable, I just did one with my 2002 4.7. I'm not as familiar with the differences of the 2004 4.7, but I'll soon be posting everything I ran into. Search through this forum about this topic. There are a few threads that contain a lot of information you'll need.

Basically, you'll need a complete pull with all accessories, engine mounts, exhaust manifolds, most likely the PCM if not a flash, wiring harness, radiator hoses, AC hoses, electronic throttle (if 2004's don't already have it). And unless you plan to go with headers from the start, a little fabbing will probably need to be done for the stock y pipe to work. Also, you may or may not have a wiring nightmare (I did not).

If you can find a good deal at a junkyard and they're willing to work with you, the cost won't be hateful. Otherwise, the little things will add up super quick.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:59 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ive got an 04 HEMI PCM and complete engine harness coming up for sale soon

Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jrealyv

This all depends on where you live and your emissions laws.
It's alot more work than what it used to be for older cars/trucks. Since things are all integrated, you need an Instument cluster that matches the engine, pcm, tcm. it's alot of stuff to put together and have properly working with no headaches.
I couldn't get away with anything like that here in NY. For our annual inspections, the inspector hooks up the vehicles OBD-II port and transmits data directly to the local DMV where it then gets approved for the sticker. The Vin on the PCM must match and there must not be anymore than 1 code not ready out of 5 or you fail. It's a crappy way to go about it because it's impossible to get a car inspected if you are having a current problem because you need to wait 100miles for all the things to reset and become Ready allow you to pass inspection. First 2 attempts don't work, your 300mile later.

HERE is an Install thread that has been to the top a few times.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a 2004 Hemi in my Dak-Quad cab..I was hard because Dodge never put a Hemi in a Dak..Installing one into a Ram is much easier bacause the frame for a 4.7 Ram and a 5.7 Ram are the same..4.7- 2003 and up have the same computer configuration without seperate ECM and TCM's, making the wiring less of a headache ..
I'm pretty sure you have to re-locate the oil filter..Change the computer, and Harness , modify the motor mounts..It will increase the value of you're truck, and add HP + Torque. I love mine...
Dakota Hemi Swap!!!with pics!!! "My thread" .

Quick Reply: 4.7 to hemi swap