3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Process TC and 4WD Indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Freybird
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Process TC and 4WD Indicator light

I'm new to this site and to Dodge. I've had a blast thus far cleaning and exloring my 2002 Ram 1500 Quad cab. The sound and power of the V8 rocks!

I'm having a problem with the 4wd indicator switch and NP241 case. The system is mechanically functional, however, when shifting through the transfer case I observe the following:

2H-> 4WD dash light is on
4H-> 4WD dash light is off
N -> 4WD dash light is on
4L-> 4WD dash light is on

I suspect the switch, #46 below is misbehaving, but could this be a problem in the case?
(I need to have the truck State Inspected, so it's important that I have it working correctly. Otherwise, I would just deal with it.)

Old 02-12-2011, 12:25 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think you can fail any state inspection whether your 4wd is working or not or for that matter even fully enaged at all times. You have the right to drive it around fully engaged, or not working at all.
I understand you want to get it fixed, but as for passing inspection, I think you'll be fine. I am in NY where the inspections are very strict as well.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Rich 2500
Veteran

It sure sounds like the switch, how hard is it to get to? If you can get it out move it manually and have some one watch the dash and see what is going on.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Freybird

Thanks guys!
With state inspectors, I hope for the best, but expect the worst I suppose I could disconnect and hide the connector. Disconnection does not turn the light on, nor does shorting the connector.

The switch is not very difficult to access, but I don't have a wrench large enough to grab it (trip to hardware store required.)

Because the dash light does change state, showing some function, I was wondering if the part within the case responsible for pushing the switch could be misaligned, etc.?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Wanderer
Veteran
Exclamation

It is likely the switch as my dealer told me he sells them on a regular basis. I had no trouble replacing it, but make sure you reseat the gasket. It is not included with the switch.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Freybird

Thanks, it was the switch as you all said. The old switch was not smooth, but clunky in it's movement.
1 1/2 open end wrench from Sears $35.00
Switch (from the stealer) $73.00
Knowing that the state inspector will not ding me for 1 more stupid thing (and my wife will know when 4wd is engaged), priceless.

Quick Reply: New Process TC and 4WD Indicator light