3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V6 slow to rev down

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Randman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 slow to rev down

I have a 2003 Ram 1500 with a V6 and manual transmission that has a peculiar problem.

The engine is slow to rev down while being driven between the rpm range of 2500 to 3500. Any where above or below this rpm range it acts fine. The engine has done this for quite some time and I have noticed it's worse when it cold and the problem is becoming worse.

I really notice it when I shift gears because it is coming to the point when I let out the clutch after shifting to the next higher gear, the engine is still revved higher than it should be.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Old 02-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Buggsy
Professional

How does the clutch feel? Will it do the same thing at a stop with the clutch in (or just out of gear)? It could happen if your clutch wasn't fully disengaging. Check your clutch fluid reservoir and make sure it's not low.

I'd guess more likely the issue is related to the throttle body. Pull that off and clean it. Make sure it's not sticky. Also check the tension on your throttle cable. Have someone (with the truck not running, and then with it running) push the pedal to the floor and let off. Watch the throttle and cable to see if that's binding at all. If you see the cable bind at all, you may need to adjust and lubricate it. They make throttle cable lube, but for my money graphite works great. There is also a spring that pulls the throttle closed. Check to make sure that spring has good tension and isn't wore out.

I'm really not that familiar with the 3.7, sorry. My last manual was a second gen Ram. Pretty much nothing like the current gen.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Randman

The problem is definitely not clutch related. it happens with the clutch in or out. It acts like it's programmed into the computer. I'm thinking there is a sensor of some sort that is giving me issues.

Once the engine is warmed up completely when I let of the gas the truck decelerates immediately. However when it is cold and you let of the gas the truck will decelerate a little slower. It kind of reminds me like when the choke of a carbureated vehicle is stuck on.

This has been happening with this vehicle for over the last 5 years and I have just lived with it. However now it is becoming more pronounced.

I'll have to pull the throttle body and clean it up. I'm sure it could use it after 85,000 miles.

Quick Reply: V6 slow to rev down