3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mds wont stay on

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
cheers007
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I did the "key dance" to check for codes. It just says "donE", so no codes are being shown/recorded.

Does this also mean that if I connected the Snap On tool that it will show as "no codes"?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM
kjun
Professional

Did you do the oil change yourself or have a shop so it. If a shop did it, any chance they screwed up and put in the wrong weight oil even if you requested the right stuff? Just a thought.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You are not going to show any codes unless the CEL has been on at some point.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 AM
cheers007
Rookie

Originally Posted by kjun
Did you do the oil change yourself or have a shop so it. If a shop did it, any chance they screwed up and put in the wrong weight oil even if you requested the right stuff? Just a thought.
I did the oil change myself with 7 qts of 5w20 Castrol and a Fram filter.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:50 AM
cheers007
Rookie

Great news!! It's fixed!!

The short:

I changed the Fram filter for a Mobil 1 filter. I have not topped off the oil but I will check it in the morning when I have time before going to work.

I appreciate everyone's help.

The long of it:

So as I was driving home, I said to myself "why not give it a go full throttle and see if things behave differently." So from a stop sign, I gun it to 65mph, then I let off.

Strangest thing is that after letting off and I was coasting, MDS turned ON!! I thought wow, I fixed it. But as soon as I came to a stop, then drove normally once again, it would not stay on while coasting. grrrrr.

As I continued on my way home, I noticed my oil pressure was way lower than normal. Normal for my truck is right in the middle of the gauge when I've been driving for over 30 minutes in city with any throttle application. This time, it was only a quarter from red no matter what throttle application I gave it.

I got scared into thinking that the oil filter collapsed, clogged, or sensor was defective. I went straight to an auto parts store, bought a Mobil 1 oil filter, and said to myself, I'm going to change this and see if it makes a difference.

Also, after I had my WOT run, MDS didn't kick on AT ALL!! This was during the time that I noticed my oil pressure was lower than normal for my truck and I was super scared something serious was wrong.

After I got home and let the truck cool down a bit, I changed the filter alone. I'm not sure how much oil I lost in the process, but it really wasn't much in the catch pan.

This morning, I drive it, and what would you know, MDS returned to normal 100%. I can coast at 20MPH with the MDS light on and the beautiful tractor sound confirming that I'm using 4 cylinders.

I'm super happy that it wasn't something complicated. I"ve learned a great lesson and hope to pass this on.

If you have a Hemi with MDS, not only is oil weight important, but the quality of oil filter is just as crucial!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:51 PM
NHHEMI
Professional

MDS actually uses the oil under high pressure to depress the pins in the MDS lifters so they will collapse. If the filter media collapsed and was resitricting oil flow it could prevent MDS from operating properly.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:22 PM
cheers007
Rookie

My thoughts exactly based on my experience.

Oh, and I filled up with 87 for the first time. I thought you might like that since you convinced me of it.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:28 PM
cheers007
Rookie

And I'd like to add that since I wasn't coasting in MDS since the last fill up, my MPG has dropped from 15.3 to 13.1. In my case, it makes a big difference.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

Glad to hear you got it fixed, and it wasn't anything major! I would not have guessed the oil filter, but it makes sense when thinking about if afterward.

Good job!

joe

Old 03-02-2011, 09:01 AM
cheers007
Rookie

Thanks Joe. I'm happy as well it wasn't anything major.

Hopefully others will think twice before doing an oil change on their Hemi.

Quick Reply: Mds wont stay on