3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dirty, dirty words: Rack and Pinion..

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default dirty, dirty words: Rack and Pinion..

Mine blew out tonight.. as I was turning in the drive.. I had no warning at all- never heard a squeak, never felt a soft spot or a slip when turning.. it just blew fluid in a pretty little trail leading up to a pool which is still under it and draining from the boots on either side as I type this..

I just had the Rack replaced about 20k ago, but I also have swapped up to heavier and wider tires since too- so it is under a lot more stress than it was intended..

In your opinions, what is the likely culprit here? Would you think it possibly the pump? Or, am I looking at another $1k to repair.. dang it, I think I know the answer here..

You usually get a little warning though, right? Have any of you had a failure like this?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:41 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

When you bought the first replacement, did you not buy one with a lifetime warranty? Im assuming you didnt replace it yourself?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:55 PM
drewactual
Champion

I had a garage do it. Quite frankly, it was before I had an interest in this truck other than getting me from point A to point B. I have no clue what or where they got it from.

I'm having another garage install this one in the morning, because I don't have the time to do it myself anytime soon. I'll insist they get the LW though, and I'll hold onto it this time.

I'm pretty sure it kicked the seals tho- as it happened all the sudden w/o weeping or ANY warning. If I had the time I'd just drop it and repair it. times like this are the only time I would even consider using a garage- I'm just too busy otherwise.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

You can buy a rack with lifetime warranty from someplace like Autozone. One for my 04 costs about 200-ish I think. For the most part it is basically a unbolt, swap it out and rebolt it type deal. Of course an alignment is needed afterwards because you have to mess with the inner tie rods

Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 AM
drewactual
Champion

You're right as rain- it isn't a hard job at all. Not having the time sucks because it will cost me the part plus labor.. Ttl of around $400 for the work, plus $100 for the alignment. The floggin core charge is almost the cost of the part- as pretty much all they do is clean it up, press in some new seals, and sell it as a reman.

I'd love to know what causes this though. I haven't been off road in a long while and I pretty much drive like gramps- it has to be a bad design, but aftermarket upgrades don't seem to be available. Dang it.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I know all about not having enough time. I seem to get everyone else projects done before I get mine completed....lol

$100 for an alignment? Ouch. About $60 here.

As for as the reason, IDK man. My truck is lifted and look at my heavy tires and rims and Im pushing 78k on the OEM R&P.

Quick Reply: dirty, dirty words: Rack and Pinion..