3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where does your 4.7 idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Razorhawg
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluedsteel
Mine will make the reverse grind noise only when it has not been started for a few hours (overnight/after work).

Had the Ram in for repair and the service writer told me that it is known and considered normal and there is no answer for it right now.

Told him it was embarrassing to have that happen, especially when parked next to a Chevy or Ford and have that happen when the other owner is standing nearby.
yeah no kidding ive had it in to have it looked at when i first bought it and they "couldnt recreate the problem"

Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
outcast
Professional

i got to give mine gas some times like a carb motor or it wont start then it goes from 4-700 then smooths out at 600 it startred that after i had the motor bored 20 over and got worse when i put my CAI on

Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Ben D.
Champion

Mine will idle in the 5-750 range.. On start it will idle at about 1100 and come down to 5-7 in about 30 seconds- a minute...

As far as the gear grind... Idk mines a stick shift so any grinding is a failure on my part

Old 03-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Ely Andrews
Default Ram 1500 2005 4.7 L V8 SLT

I have noticed a lot of questions on here that all likely have the same answer.

The most frustrating part is Dodge's lack of accepting responsibility. If they had then it would be common knowledge on how to correct the issue and you wouldn't be wasting weeks or months; and hundreds or thousands of dollars trying to resolve.

​Below is list of some of the questions I've come across:

Where does my 1500 idle = 600 rpm
Some light fluctuations are normal depending on power loads (I.e. AC, Radio, pumps, etc). Too much however could point to a battery or alternator issue.

Large spikes in rpm's (up and down)
Turning off while coming to a stop
Turning off while taking a right hand turn (Your foot is likely not applying pressure to the throttle during a turn)
RPM's staying up while you are trying to come to a stop
Car shutting off for no apparent reason

If these issues go unresolved for too long it could do irreversible damage to your transmission and other components

It can also cause damage to components within the fly by wire shifting system (best way I know how to describe). I would say this was a bad choice in design on Dodge's part at best.

>>> Most of these issues can be attributed to the TP Sensor [Throttle Position Sensor] √ <<<

I also suggest finding a good mechanic to help diagnose the problem. Look for someone who has a lot of vehicles from local company's and stays busy or someone that specializes in trucks or racecars. These attributes are normally found to be one in the same.

Hope this helps! I know it took me some time to find these answers myself.

Cheers,

Ely Andrews

Last edited by Ely Andrews; 03-09-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: Where does your 4.7 idle