3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:02 PM
richmanpoorman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 ram 1500

Hello People,
I am looking to upgrade my 4.7L dodge. It is a daily driver and minor trail rider. open rear end. what I am looking to do is rear end work (limited slip) without out much wheel skip. Also want to improve fuel mileage and HP. Then finally a lift or leveling kit. 4wheel Parts want to sell me a torsion bare key kit to tweek the torsion bars. but I think that will just put more stress on the bars. Any suggestions....
Thanks Rich

Old 03-05-2011, 06:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

For the limited slip, look at either an Auburn Gear or Detroit TruTrac. Both are a mid bias limited slip that lock up fairly well and when not needed you never know they are there.

As far as fuel mileage and HP, get it breathing good first. CAI or at least a high flow drop in filter with a good cat-back exhaust. Then a tuner would be the way to go.

Torsion keys are ok, as long as you stay around 2" (although a free key crank will give you the same results). When you get much over 2 1/2" the torsion bars are really stiff, not to mention it also puts stress on the CV axles.

Quick Reply: 05 ram 1500