3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MDS issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 AM
NHHEMI
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h3bubba79
I just changed the oil and filter to Mobile 1 full synthetic 5W-20. i just bought the vehicle from the dealer about a 2 months ago. it was at a chrysler dealership so i assumed they put the right oil in it, but changed it any way to be sure. we have a 06 Magnum R/T with MDS and it runs differently. So i have some experience with these new hemis. we have had the magnum since it was new in 06. i understand it is a can and this a 4x4 truck and it will run differently.

My main concern is the frequency at which it goes in and out. if it's a flay strectch of highway then it will never settle into MDS. it constantly switches in and out. when i get down hill it stays on and when i get on a slight incline it switches off no problem. seems to work as advertised.

It's that constant on/off that is wearing on my transmission. it already caused me to have to change the shift solenoid. after only 1000 miles after i bought it.

Question for you guy, when your MDS turns on, what happens on the RPMs? mine climbs about 200rpm and when tries to drop 300 as the converter tries to lock up. it locks up for about a second and then the MDS turns off. I can hear it in the exhaust, you are right, but it more pronounced in the shifting and the way it makes the tranny go "clunk" that bothers me. the exhaust is a crappy flowmaster one that looks like it was put together by a high school tech class.

Could this be a bad converter?

I turned the MDS off and the converter locks up fine. that's the way i have been driving it for a few days now and no lights. i rest the PCM and TCM too. no codes.
At highway speed there is a slight jump in RPM's on my truck when MDS activates. You might have some issues with your tranny. I would not put the blame for a failed shift solenoid on MDS but rather on something to do with that part or the tranny itself.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 AM
cheers007
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure your oil filter is high quality AND you don't "top off" your motor oil. I noticed that having too much (high end of the SAFE mark) actually results in poor MDS function. Have your oil level in middle of "SAFE" on the dipstick and you should be good.

Or at least, it will rule out your motor oil.

Quick Reply: MDS issues