3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

efan ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 PM
outcast
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default efan ?

so my fan clutch went out and now it sounds like a big rig fan a new clutch is like $55 and i was thinkin i can buy a efan from a junk yard cheaper than that anybody know wat a good car to take it out of would be

Old 03-06-2011, 09:48 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weed can jump in here, but the fan off a Lincoln Mark VIII or a Taurus apparently does a very good job. You'll need a controller, too. Good luck. It's a fairly easy task.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 AM
draco8494
Captain

yeah just look at some lincoln's or taurus..i bealive theres 2 different style taurus fans one is just a single E-fan with a full shroud..or 2 e-fans without a shroud..ive got the 2 e-fans and was thinking about hookin em up but it might be a PITA for duals and the single mark III fan flows just as much apparently..and ur gonna need a temp controller from autozone...they run from like 15-50 bucks

Old 03-07-2011, 01:01 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah the Taurus fans are and have been proven to work time and time again. I have one and it works great. I has never given me any issues. I bought it at a junk yard for $25 and a Hayden controller from Advance Auto for another $40.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
outcast
Professional

y would i need a controler a buddie of mine put a efan in his chevy and just wired it up so if the key was in run the fan was on worked for two years now and hasnt over heated

Old 03-07-2011, 07:40 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do it that way, the controller just allows you to set it to come on only when it's needed which saves energy and can give you better gas mileage.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 AM
tiptonjd
Default controller

Where does the controller attach to? How does it work?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah you can wire it to a key but I bet he had it also wired to a relay somewhere and the key was triggering the relay which was pulling (+) from the battery to power the fan and NOT the ignition harness.

The controller (as said above) allows the fan to turn on and off at designated temps much like the AC/heater controller in your house.

It connects to the battery for main power, a switched 12v circuit and to the fan. There is a probe that goes in the rad fins to detects the temp also

We have a How To in our FAQs at the top of this section BTW

Old 03-08-2011, 10:27 PM
outcast
Professional

good lord u talk about a pain in the ***. Taking the old fan off the pump awfull had to make my own tool for the pully no one had one in town spent 3 hours heating and prying on it to try and get it loose finally took the whole pump off and takin it to work tomorow to use the big boy troch on it hopefully that will loosen it up. those are left-handed threads on the nut aint they iv took some of before and they where all left-handed threads

Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I always jam a screw driver through the water pump pulley, put a big 14" wrench on the clutch fan nut and hit it with a mallet counter clock wise.

Quick Reply: efan ?