3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 AM
Brandonc24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how can you visually tell if your brak pads are close to needing replaced? Also how can you tell if your rotors need turned or replaced? Just got this truck and want to take great care of it and want to do all the work i can by myself. I am just learning how to work on cars and am teaching myself as I go with the help of you guys. I just don't trust many mechanics anymore and have always wanted to learn to do it myself because I really do enjoy it and I save money. Thanks for any input.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

To do a visual inspect, the rotors would appear smooth, ungouged and without a lip at the outer edge.
Visual on the brake pads, you would look at the pad surface area obviosuly. The pads should have atleast 3/8". Now when you do a visual, you are looking at the outer pads only. In order to look at the inner's you would have to lift the caliper. The insides usually wear slightly faster because they touch the rotor prior to the caliper squeezing the outside one in.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Make sure you jack the truck up and remove the tire for a good look.

Quick Reply: Brake pads