3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Swap Complete - 2002 4.7 to 2003 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:26 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow t-muns. kudos to you on your project! that is awesome to take on by yourself (and with the help from some friends). ever since i spoke to hammer about the differences between the 4.7 and hemi, i have been wondering about a swap. i hope you are enjoying the new truck. and to hemi quad, sorry to hear that. i know how it feels. i got hit head on by a dui last august in my 01 ram after doing the hughes and kegger, etc. hopefully your next project turns out even better..

back to the 4.7, i just feel like this engine will set me back with mods compared to the 5.7. obviously not as much power, but even with simple things like gears and larger tires, the 4.7 i don't think can really handle a lot of mods...

Old 05-17-2011, 02:22 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks man, it was pretty fun. As far as your 4.7, I'm sure it can handle plenty of mods. It just comes down to what you're looking for, how much money you have, and how comfortable you are doing your own work.

I did the upgrade because my 4.7 blew up and 2002 replacements were expensive. I could only find higher mileage 4.7s for a 2002 and I wasn't going to spend a fortune on a jasper or crate 4.7. I figured I might as well start with the extra horsepower, then I can put money into modding the hemi. I'm happy with my decision.

You could always spend some dough and supercharge your 4.7. Or look around on various CL sites and find a super cheap hemi that needs a head or something like that. You can pick it up cheap, put a little money into upgrading it while it's out, then swap it in. Unless you can find a super cheap hemi, it's hard to say if it's actually worth it if your current 4.7 is in good shape. My 4.7 was shot so it was an easy decision.

It also depends on what the emission laws are in your state, etc.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:28 PM
DDIRI
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey T-muns how did you fix your brake light issue. I'm having the same problem with my swap right now. I've actually been considering throwing on a bed off an 03 hemi just to make it easy on the wiring side of things.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 PM
T-Muns
Veteran

Originally Posted by DDIRI
Hey T-muns how did you fix your brake light issue. I'm having the same problem with my swap right now. I've actually been considering throwing on a bed off an 03 hemi just to make it easy on the wiring side of things.
The original post has the details for my brake light issue. What are you swapping from/to?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:17 PM
DDIRI
Professional

I'm swapping from a 2003 Hemi 5.7 to a 97 dodge Ram. I have a thread going in the Gen 2 section. Just can figure out the rear tail lights. I have two wires coming from the front one for left and one for right but my tail lights are totally different. Just was wondering if you had a diagram of how you hooked yours up.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:05 PM
T-Muns
Veteran

I checked out your thread and you have quite a project there, great job! I'm not familiar with the 2nd gen wiring at all, but if you have the service manual for the 2003, you should be able to figure it out. The "Rear Lighting" section (page 1008 of pdf version) shows how the lights themselves are wired up, but the brake switch/cruise/PDC/PCM wiring is throughout the wiring section.

I would imagine you have the manual, but if not check it out here:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-download.html

The existing brake/tail light wiring from my 02 was exactly the same as the 03 hemi with exception of the cruise control setup so I didn't have to touch any wires going back to the lights. Are you using a brake light switch for the 03 hemi or are you trying to use your old one?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:12 PM
DDIRI
Professional

Yeah the brake light switch is from the hemi everything is with the exception of interior and exterior lights. And the power doors windows and mirrors. Otherwise all hemi. I don't have the service manual. Just two Haynes manuals that show I very basic wiring diagram. I have the parking lights and the turn signal figured just not the stop light. Thanks for the link.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:08 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope you enjoy the pride of you're accomplishment as much as I did..Neither insurance companies are going to pay for my truck,or bikes..I didn't have enough insurance and the police officer couldn't say for sure it was her fault..So I'm screwed..
Meanwhile I'm searching for something else to put my Hemi in. I have that Italian sounding disease FUNDS-SA-LOW. I have to look at this truck every time I walk out side, It makes me sick.
I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I did mine , "Only Longer"..
" Good Job", I hope something I posted helped , or saved time money, or something..

Last edited by HemiDak-Quad; 02-03-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 PM
DDIRI
Professional

George that makes me sick seeing your truck that way. You're insurance won't replace it even if it's your fault or not. Why do we even have insurance. Also as a biker I am sad to here yours were damaged as well.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:23 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to put do a Jeep next.

Last edited by HemiDak-Quad; 08-03-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap Complete - 2002 4.7 to 2003 5.7