3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel filter replace??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:11 PM
superfordman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filter replace??

So my truck has got about 115k so im going down the list of things to do to keep it running good. Ive got an 03 5.7 and i know that the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump inside the tank and thats where the filter is housed. Ive been looking through weeds service and part manuals and I found a filter is a part you can order. so my question is, is it worth the work to change it out to what i might see in any gain? I have access to a lift and a tranny jack so i dont think dropping the tank would be that difficult but im just wondering if it would be worth my time and effort in the first place

Thanks for any input!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 PM
doubletap4311

i would replace the pump at the same time with your miles

Old 03-09-2011, 02:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldnt bother replacing either. If it works, leave it alone. A fuel pump is around 200 +/- 20. Ive never seen a sock filter go bad unless someone got sugar in the tank of something else.

Are you going to gain anything from it? Only peace of mind.

However, all you need to drop the tank is a regular floor jack and maybe a 1x6 board to even the weight and support the tank going down and back up.

I did a thread some time back on taking it down and replacing the tank if you care to look for it.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:55 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I wouldnt bother replacing either. If it works, leave it alone. A fuel pump is around 200 +/- 20. Ive never seen a sock filter go bad unless someone got sugar in the tank of something else.

Are you going to gain anything from it? Only peace of mind.

However, all you need to drop the tank is a regular floor jack and maybe a 1x6 board to even the weight and support the tank going down and back up.

I did a thread some time back on taking it down and replacing the tank if you care to look for it.
+ eleventy gazillion. That $200 must be for just the pump. I paid a bit over $500 for one on a Dodge van some years ago. Since then, I fill up at 1/4 tank. That broke my habit of running it down to fumes.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:37 AM
superfordman

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I wouldnt bother replacing either. If it works, leave it alone. .
Thats exactly what I was thinking too, if it aint broke dont fix it. I never heard much about the pumps in our trucks going out like they do, say in some gm's or 3rd gen cummins.

And if it isnt worth a gain I guess I wont worry about it. Maybe down the road some day if I get board Ill drop the tank and take a look for fun.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:37 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you want pics just to see everything Ive got plenty in the link in my signature. Click on it and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter replace??