3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wheel spacers question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:34 PM
sinus19
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel spacers question

Sooooooo. i....finally..... got.... my... 22" Boss 335s AND TIRES!!!! (will post pics soon).. sorry guys just had to say it out loud lol!

Anyways... I was wondering how thick can i go on wheel spacers? I'm thinking of putting 1/4 or 1/2? And since i don't wanna spend anymore money (just spend 1600 in wheels and tires) I want to cut them out my self. I'll be using the CNC Waterjet machine that i use at work. would regular Mild steel be ok and safe? i mean all it is-is a plate with the whole pattern, right? and its gonna be a PRECISION cut anyhow.. I do have Stainless steel available as well.

Note:the spacers are for looks, not clearance. could have gone with wider tires (305) but i have 9" rims and i dont wanna decrease my MPGs.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:52 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all....If your buying new wheels, why not get the correct backspacing to begin with so you don't have to worry or deal with spacers? Like a 5". This way your not so far out but have a wider stance and room for wider tires.
I believe 3/8" is the thickest you can go on stock studs. I think 1/2" is too much? You'll have to see how much stud you have left protruding through curently to get a feel for the thickness. Then your gonna have to jump up to 1.25 and likely even 1.5". Anything in between like 1" that has additional studs will force you to grind down your factory studs(not something I would do) or else they will hit the back of the wheel.
I wouldn't use mild steel spacers. I wouldn't use stainless either. Mild steel is heavy and so is stainless. This means that the slightest offset in CNC machining will multiply itself as vibration while in motion.

305's are fine for 9" wide rims and going to a wider tire doesn't decrese your MPG's. Tread type and diameter effect mpg's.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

But if you had to use steel, I would use SS over mild. Ive seen some 1/2" spacers for sale on the boards before. Ive seen some 1 1/2" for sale too. Are normal spacers made from aluminum? IDK.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Matt99
Champion

yea i think my 1.5s are billet aluminum. they were pretty light for so much metal. I agree with dog, if you are just a 1/2oz off on one side it could be pretty bad

Old 03-11-2011, 02:53 PM
sinus19
Veteran

dang never thought of all of this lol... 1/4" well be just fined. I'll have to check my stance as soon as i mount the tires to the rims (hopfully today) thanks guys

Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 1/2" on my truck when I had 305's. A buddy of mine is a high performance vehicle engineer at GM proving grounds (buys nothing but dodges though)...basically he works with Vettes. When I was looking into spacers, he said as long as you can get 7 full turns on the lug nut, you'll be fine

Old 03-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Paratrooper
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got 1.5" billet aluminum spacers the hub centric ones on my truck and i DO off road it not hard though and have never had an issue with them at all. if ur going with a spacer go quality and you wont have an issue

Quick Reply: wheel spacers question